Ava Nederlander Photo Editor

Ava Nederlander, Photo Editor

Football started off their season with a superb result when they handily defeated Colby 30–10 on home turf.

Wes was powered to victory with strong offensive performances from wide receiver Delando Clarke ’21, quarterback Ashton Scott ’22, and kicker Mason Von Jess ’23. Von Jess was also the NESCAC Special Teams Player of the Week as he single-handedly outscored the Mules 12 to 10. He nailed field goals from 38, 39, and 40 yards.

Meanwhile, on defense, cornerbacks Ben Thaw ’20 and Danny Banks ’22 both snagged interceptions, and linebackers Chase Pratt ’20 and Nick Livingston ’21 each sacked the Colby quarterback. Julian Ross ’21 and Nick Helbig ’23 each registered a forced fumble that Wesleyan recovered. Overall, it was a strong performance with some new faces stepping into the spotlight and dominating the game.

Wesleyan was an offensive juggernaut throughout the game as they cruised to victory at home. Not only did the Cards outproduce the Mules on offense by 90 yards, but they were also able to sustain drives more easily than Colby. The Red Birds went 7 of 17 on third down, compared to Colby’s sole successful conversion out of 11.

Furthermore, Wesleyan did not give up a single turnover throughout the match, while Colby gave up possession four times. Wesleyan may have passed for fewer yards than the Mules, but the Cards were more efficient, completing 65 percent of their passes to Colby’s 55 percent, and Scott was not sacked once during the game.

Matthew Simco ’22 and Clarke were breakout players of the game, as they both racked up 60 yards receiving and at least one touchdown—Clarke scoring two. Neither player had been particularly prominent offensively before this season, but the two show a lot of potential for the rest of the season.

Ava Nederlander Photo Editor

Ava Nederlander, Photo Editor

On the ground, Scott seems to be following in the footsteps of his powerful predecessor Mark Piccirillo ’19. He led the team in both rushing attempts and yards, gaining 76 yards on the day.

Both running backs, Charlie McPhee ’22 and David Estevez ’22, ran for over 50 yards to garner a team rushing attack that gained 240 yards on the ground.

The defense was formidable as they stifled Colby throughout the match, forcing four punts and another two turnovers on downs. The Red and Black defense continued where it left off from last season with four turnovers and two sacks. Though it is still early on in the season, Wesleyan already has one of the best defenses in the NESCAC with the second-least points allowed after only Tufts. Wes is also tied with Amherst for the most turnovers forced.

Rankings are obviously subject to change, but as on offense, the fact that players who hadn’t previously dominated on the field are making game-defining plays is a positive sign for the Cards. Players are stepping up to the plate; Banks who got his second career interception during the matchup and Ross forced his first career fumble.

This defense demonstrated a great amount of depth in their lineup even considering all the players who did not get a chance to showcase their talents. This is specific to defensive lineman Taj Gooden ’21, who was disqualified on one of the first plays of the season. Gooden, one of the team’s best defensive players, will hopefully make his presence felt next week against Hamilton.

Ava Nederlander Photo Editor

Ava Nederlander, Photo Editor

The Cardinals were able to get a good amount of yards through both punt and kick returns; however, the Red Birds struggled slightly with Colby’s kickoff returns, as they were able to gain an average of 19 yards from each return. In addition, Wes was more undisciplined than the Mules as the Cardinals gave up more penalties for more yards.

Next week’s matchup against Hamilton is set to be more contentious than the Colby game. It’s been a decade since the Cards last lost to Colby, but Wesleyan’s matches with the Continentals have been significantly more balanced. Last year, Hamilton upset the Red and Black on their home field, 33–29.

In addition, Hamilton running back David Kagan won the NESCAC Offensive Player of the Week in the season opener after running for three touchdowns and almost 200 yards. It will therefore be vital for the Cardinal defense to be proactive and aggressive next weekend. Moreover, Hamilton was able to put together a 16-point fourth-quarter comeback to win the game. The Red and Black will have to play until the final whistle to ensure success on the road next week.

Jacques Slaughter can be reached at jslaughter@wesleyan.edu.