c/o Wesleyan Athletics

c/o Wesleyan Athletics

Last season, Wesleyan women’s tennis took home the NCAA Division III National Title, the team’s first-ever national championship. Along the way, the Red and Black reached more than a few milestones, including winning the Little Three, taking home its first ever NESCAC Championship, and recording 20 wins—the most in team history.

The team shined because of the stars who carried it to the title. Venia Yeung ’22 made an incredible run to the NCAA singles final, earning All-NESCAC first team and All-American honors along the way to a 13-3 singles record. Sisters Victoria Yu ’19 and Kristina Yu ’22 advanced to the NCAA doubles quarterfinals, both also earning All-American and All-NESCAC first team honors while posting a 35-9 overall record.

It may not be a surprise to learn that the team has their eyes on another National Championship.

However, the task will not be an easy one. Every team in the nation has their eyes on Wesleyan, hoping to dethrone the Cardinals from their lofty position on the leaderboard.

Head coach Mike Fried emphasized that, although the Cardinals are perched on top at the moment, there are plenty of competitors with the necessary firepower to knock them down a peg.

“There are at least 10 teams that are also playing on a National Championship level,” noted Fried.

No matter what, the Red and Black are prepared for any challenge. A few key returners are ready to make a significant impact once again this season.

Sophomore Alexis Almy, who made an immediate contribution last year, pulled off a come-from-behind victory in both of her singles sets in last year’s semifinals to clinch the match and send the team to the national championship. Polina Kiseleva ’21 also played a pivotal role in the Cards’ success last year, mashing opponents on the way to a 15-1 record. The national championship match came down to the wire, but Kiseleva performed wonderfully, winning the third and final set of her match to bring the trophy home for the team.

Sophomore Megan Tran and juniors Daniela Alvarez and Alissa Nakamoto will round out the roster for the team, looking to contribute to another historic run for the Red and Black.

Saying that last year’s team was young is an understatement—nearly the entire team was comprised entirely of first years and sophomores. Aside from the elder Yu sister, the team will return every member of its National Championship team. Adding to this wealth of athletic ability, is none other than the number-oneranked DIII recruiting class in the nation. The team added the No. 77 ranked Serim Jin, No. 83 ranked Caitlyn Ferrante, No. 88 Katie Fleischman, No. 125 Sasha Gaeth, and No. 172 Caitlin Goldberg. In addition, the team also welcomes Sophie Henderson, a sophomore transfer from DI Georgetown University. It’s simply an astoundingly deep team, and one that Fried, entering his eighth season as head coach, has high hopes for.

“[The team is] well positioned to make another title run this spring,” said Fried.

It will all come down the team’s preparation and hard work, which must continue into the next year if the Cardinals seek a repeat on the big stage. This fall season, although not nearly as long as the spring season, will be an important part of determining the team’s standing among its competitors.

Last year, the Cardinals saw some success early, springing forward with a championship mindset following the Yu sisters’ victory at the ITA New England Doubles Tournament in the fall. If the team plays to its potential, don’t be surprised to see some new trophies brought home this year.

The Cardinals begin the fall portion of their schedule at the MIT Invitational on the weekend of September 13. The team will then compete in the ITA Regional Championships, Sept. 27 to 29, before finishing the 2019 season at the NEWITT Tournament.

Nick Keating can be reached at nkeating@wesleyan.edu.