It’s November already? How can it be? Well, my, my didn’t that just fly right on by? It’s production thesis season and we here at Cinefiles are burned out, working back to back on different films, so apologies for our absence last week. The semester feels like it’s slipping out of our grasp but thankfully we still have plenty of pretty and powerful motion pictures lined up for you.

“Madeline’s Madeline”

2018. USA. Dir: Josephine Decker. With Helena Howard, Molly Parker. 94 min.

Wednesday, Nov. 7. 8 p.m. Free.

Unconventional and bursting at the seams with vigor, passion, and creativity, Josephine Decker’s 2018 release left a real mark. Like many films that push boundaries and pioneer new creative strategies, “Madeline’s Madeline” has been divisive amongst audiences. Those who love it think it’s a stroke of genius, those who don’t question its authorship. In a nutshell, the film is focused on the interiority of a biracial teenage actress combating mental illness, a tumultuous relationship with her mother, and creative control. Marvel at Ashley Connor’s gripping photography as we see Madeline question and expand the possibilities of the imagination and her own lived reality. Be sure to show up on Wednesday for this bold and brilliant new release.

“Touki Bouki”

1973. Senegal. Dir: Djibril Diop Mambéty. With Magaye Niag, Aminata Fall. 85 min.

Thursday, Nov. 8. 8 p.m. Free.

Mambéty’s two young protagonists, a cowherd named Mory and a student named Anta, long to leave their lives in Senegal behind and head to Paris. They soon discover that realizing their dream will come at a price, both monetary and personal, which may be too much to take. This stunning gem of African cinema blends the surreal and naturalistic against a backdrop of Josephine Baker tunes. Some may also know it as one of Beyoncé’s avant-garde influences.

“Howl’s Moving Castle”

2004. Japan. Dir: Hayao Miyazaki. Animation. 119 min.

Friday, Nov. 9. 8 p.m. $5.

“Howl’s Moving Castle”: a favorite of film critics and film lovers, cherished by adults, children and adolescents alike is now, we are so happy to say, coming to the Goldsmith Family Cinema in a matter of days. We’ve had so many requests to screen this Miyazaki wonder and this week we finally have the chance. The film follows Sophie, as she is “transformed by a mysterious curse” and seeks the aid and friendship of young wizard Howl. Join them as they try to overcome and undo the wickedness of the cruel Witch of Waste and be swept up by the whimsy and tremendous detail of this masterful Studio Ghibli production.

“Bringing Up Baby”

1938. USA. Dir: Howard Hawks. With Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant. 102 min. 35mm print.

Saturday, Nov. 10. 8 p.m. Free.

Bumbling paleontologist David Huxley attempts to secure a large donation for his museum, but his plans are derailed when Susan Vance, a madcap society heiress arrives on the scene. She promptly falls in love with him and chaos ensues. Hawks (“His Girl Friday,” “Scarface”) delivers a fast-paced screwball comedy—here in 35mm!—filled with hilarious misadventures from start to finish. If that isn’t enough to bring you to the Goldsmith on Saturday, the absurd fact that the titular “Baby” is a pet leopard might convince you.

Beatrix Herriott O’Gorman and Julia Levine can be reached at bherriottogo@wesleyan.edu and jlevine@wesleyan.edu.