Welcome, cinematically inclined friends, to our third week at Wesleyan! Although the first two weeks practically flew by, it also somehow feels as if we’ve been here forever. Papers and problem sets are beginning to pile up, and now that the stress of Drop/Add is over, it’s time to settle into the school year and plan your time. No evening classes? Perfect. You can mark the film series on your calendar every Wednesday through Saturday night.

We begin this week with “Summer 1993,” kicking off the annual Hispanic Film series that will continue for the remaining Wednesdays this month. Here we showcase powerful recent works from across the Spanish-speaking world, beginning with the captivating tale of a motherless six-year-old named Frida.

Our Thursday film, “Los Angeles Plays Itself,” marks the first documentary of the year, and our Friday film marks the final 3D screening on this month’s calendar with the highly-anticipated “Incredibles 2.” This superhero extravaganza is sure to please, but those with epilepsy or photosensitivity should be warned that this film may be triggering to these conditions. To round out the week, stop by the series on Saturday for the utterly romantic “Wuthering Heights.”

We’ll see you there!

“Summer 1993”

2017. Spain. Dir: Carla Simon. With Laia Artigas, Paula Robles. 97 min.

Wednesday, Sept. 19. 8 p.m. Free.

The first installment in our 2018 Hispanic Film Series is a recent release by female filmmaker Carla Simone. Simone won the Goya Award for Best New Director and the film, ‘Summer 1993’, was also nominated for Best Original Screenplay. It follows the summer escapades of six-year-old Frida who’s placed in her uncle’s care following the death of her mother. Frida struggles to settle in and feel at home in her new environment in Catalonia as she grapples with grief, isolation, and belonging. The film is miraculous in its sensitivity and profound in its themes. Seek it out for Simone’s confident and careful directorial touch and for many moving performances.

“Los Angeles Plays Itself”

2003. USA. Dir: Thom Anderson. Documentary. 169 min.

Thursday, Sept. 20. 8 p.m. Free.

Hailed as the best documentary about Los Angeles ever made and packed with enough clips to make a cinephile’s mouth water, this lengthy film revels in the contradictions, the conflicts, the beauty, and the dust of the desert metropolis known as Los Angeles.  The film reckons with the numerous representations of LA across various films and television series and filmmaker Thom Anderson’s interpretation of those (mis)representations. Anderson offers a critical analysis, reflection and history of LA over time, and his knowledge, wit, and passion make the film a gripping and entertaining viewing experience for all.

“Incredibles 2”

2018. USA. Dir: Brad Bird. With Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter. Animation. 125 min.

Friday, Sept. 21. 8 p.m. $5.

While Elastigirl is off working to make superheroes legal again, Mr. Incredible faces his own challenges holding down the fort at home with Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack. Action-packed adventures ensue as everyone’s favorite family returns to face a new villain in this sequel to the beloved original from Pixar. Come see it at the Goldsmith on Friday if only to observe Edna Mode’s iconic face in three glorious dimensions on the big screen.

“Wuthering Heights”

1939. USA. Dir: William Wyler. With Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier. 103 min.

Saturday, Sept. 22. 8 p.m. Free.

In this adaptation of Emily Bronte’s classic novel, the bond between childhood friends and soulmates Cathy and Heathcliff is put to the test when the wealthy, respectable Edgar Linton appears on the scene. Will their star-crossed love endure? This tale of tragic romance was nominated for eight Academy Awards, including best picture and best actor. It took the win for Gregg Toland’s hauntingly beautiful black-and-white cinematography.

Beatrix Herriott O’Gorman can be reached at bherriottogo@wesleyan.edu.

Julia Levine can be reached at jjlevine@wesleyan.edu.