What a stressful pre-finals week of pain, Advil, and sleepless nights. Is it really the last full week of classes? But don’t worry! There is a silver lining. This week the senior film majors continue to show us the fruits of their labors. You’d be a fool to miss out on the presentations of a group that’s sure to become the leading voices in all film-related fields. Presentations of the film history and theory theses will be given on Tuesday, and on Wednesday, the one film criticism thesis will be presented. Both of these readings will be taking place in the Powell Family Cinema at 5 p.m. You know you want to see what these cool cats have up their sleeves.

Did you catch the Film Department Diversity Town Hall meeting hosted by five Wesleyan film majors and minors? Chair of the College of Film and the Moving Image Scott Higgins showed up, as did Associate Professor of Film Studies Lisa Dombrowski, to listen and respond when it was appropriate. The meeting was constructive and had been a long time coming. We were super grateful to Professors Dombrowski and Higgins, as well as Dean of Arts and Humanities Ellen Nerenberg, for attending, not to mention all of the students who showed up to voice their opinions. Everyone articulated themselves with integrity and conviction, and it was heartening and extremely encouraging. We at Cinefiles are very excited about the future of the College and of the continued initiatives of students who refuse to be complacent. We hope to see greater action and dialogue moving forward, and we look forward to more conversations like the one that took place on Thursday.

As difficult or spirit-crushing as it might be for you (for us all really), it is in fact the last week of the 2016-17 Wesleyan Film Series! We’ve traveled around the globe with the series this year and enjoyed the ride with every single moviegoer. So first of all, a big hug to all of you for your love and support! But before you spend the summer as you please, here are the films closing out the semester that you might want to catch.

Tropical Malady

1. Thailand. Dir: Apichatpong Weer-asethakul. With Banlop Lamnoi. 118 min.

Wednesday, May 3. 8 p.m. Free.

Continuing our Queer Asian Cinema two-part mini-series this week is Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s 2004 Cannes success story, “Tropical Malady.” The Guardian called this a “demi-fantasy mescaline headtrip,” which is really the only recommendation one could hope for. The structure of this film may throw you for a loop. The questions it raises might confuse you. And what to make of the tiger? Lots of mystery, intimacy, and sensory delight. We talked about transcendence a few weeks ago, and in case you forgot what that looked like, we gave you this cinematic gem as reminder.

As I Open My Eyes

1. Tunisia. Dir: Leyla Bouzid. With Baya Medhaffer. 102 min.

Thursday, May 4. 8 p.m. Free.

Set in the dawn of the Tunisian Revolution, “As I Open My Eyes” revisits civilian characters’ experiences and beliefs before the turbulence of political campaigns that would eventually lead to a thorough democratization. Ultimately about Farah, a progressive lead singer who works at an underground rock band, the film portrays her battle against the oppression of the secret police and a tumultuous relationship with her mother, who hopes for a safer, more stable life for her.

Superbad

1. USA. Dir: Greg Mottola. With Michael Cera, Jonah Hill. 113 min.

Friday, May 5. 8 p.m. $5.

Before Jonah Hill went to high school as an undercover cop (“21 Jump Street,” 2012), he made his name with a disastrous high school graduation in “Superbad,” in which he played Seth (a character based on Seth Rogan, one of the films screenwriters). Arguably the best comedy of 2007, it tells the story of two teenagers, unpopular at school, trying their best to lose their respective virginities with the girls of their dreams, only to get entangled in a mess set off by a fake ID. In short, you don’t get a better Friday night movie than that.

The Young Girls of Rochefort

1. France. Dir: Jacques Demy. With Catherine Deneuve. 120 min.

Saturday, May 6. 8 p.m. Free.

“The Young Girls of Rochefort” is a
n off-beat musical that revolves around a pair of twins (Catherine Deneuve and Francis Dorleac) who run a ballet school in Rochefort. They are beauty, they are grace, and they are in search of Mr. Right. Do the men of their dreams make an appearance in this pastel world? You’ll have to come to Goldsmith on Saturday to find out. Now, I don’t want to say this is a Gene Kelly musical (because it’s notthe twins are the stars of the show), but it does star Gene Kelly. It’s a riotous, candy-colored dream that proves musicals truly are the most fun!

• jonaseph lipsebio

We love you. Can’t wait to see what next year brings
    -jonah&joseph