Headcase is a regular column that aims to debunk common misconceptions surrounding mental illnesses and disorders found in the benchmark psychiatric text, Diagnostic and Statistics Manual 5 (DSM-5).

Headcase: Autism Spectrum Disorder

If you’ve ever seen Barry Levinson’s classic film “Rain Man,” you probably have a good idea of what autism might look like, or so you think. While protagonist Raymond is wildly beloved by all, his character is far from accurate in terms of how someone with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) behaves and lives.

MYTHS

There is, unfortunately, a lot of negative stigma constructed around this disorder. Many “normal” individuals look down upon those who struggle with autism as being not as smart as their “normal” peers or as having no emotions. Some people’s knowledge of this subject is very limited; some are inclined to believe that vaccines contribute to the onset of autism. You, my educated reader, have the privilege of knowing that all of this talk is false! So now that we’ve put aside these myths, let’s go over some facts.

FACTS

First, it is important to note that the diagnosis of this disorder has changed quite drastically from the previous edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). The current fifth edition of the manual describes autism as a spectrum, (it is formally called “Autism Spectrum Disorder,” or “ASD”) and now includes Asperger’s, a less severe type of autism, as part of this spectrum, whereas it previously was not.

Now that we better understand the classification, let’s take a look at diagnostic criteria. According to the DSM-5, an individual must 1) demonstrate deficits of social communication, such as poor verbal and nonverbal communication skills, 2) show restricted or repetitive behavior, either verbally, physically, or with regards to activities, 3) have presented these symptoms during his or her early development stage, 4) display symptoms that significantly disrupt social, academic, or other kinds of functioning, and must 5) not have any other condition that explains the symptoms. This spectrum also has multiple levels of severity to better gauge the effects of this disorder.

While diagnoses often occur when infants reach approximately two years of age, their accuracy is often difficult to determine because there is no definitive blood test or any other type of exam. Clinicians use the model presented by the DSM-5 to determine to the best of their ability whether autism is the most appropriate diagnosis for a young toddler.

Yet another mystery is understanding what causes this illness, although scientists seem to have some leads. They have suggested that certain genes contribute to ASD, as do structural and functional abnormalities in the brain. More specific causes are unknown.

TREATMENT

There is no cure for ASD. However, some studies suggest that early intervention (around the age of three) can help to minimize the effects of ASD. You can visit autismspeaks.org to learn more about different types of intervention.

TEMPLE GRANDIN

Remember Raymond from the beginning of this article? Well, get him out of your mind! Rather than depending on fictional characters to develop your understanding of ASD, let’s take a look at what autism actually looks like. Temple Grandin, a biologist, animal scientist, and professor, was diagnosed with high functioning ASD. A remarkable woman, she never let her illness get in the way of pursuing her dreams; she even claims her disorder helped her in her professional field.

WANT TO LEARN MORE?

Visit www.autismspeaks.org , or the National Institutes of Mental Health page on ASD to learn more about the specifics of this disorder. Visit www.templegrandin.com to learn more about Grandin’s own research and work.