The long-awaited fall has arrived. The humidity and stickiness has passed and now we are in the season of falling leaves and cool weather. However, my favorite part of fall is the seasonal baked goods, most importantly, anything with pumpkin. Pumpkin is known for being the “it” vegetable of this season and it deserves this status. Some quick facts about pumpkin? A cup of cooked pumpkin has over 200 percent of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A, which aids vision. They are also rich in beta-carotene which the body converts into a form of vitamin A. Also, it has more potassium than a banana, which helps restore the body’s electrolytes after a workout.
So, after working at the gym, drop that banana and eat pumpkin instead! Pumpkin has so much nutritional value, you can pretend this baked good is healthy for you. (Added bonus, this recipe is both gluten free and vegan!) Happy baking!
Vegan & Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
(Adapted from the minimalistbaker.com)
1.5 flax eggs (1.5 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 4 Tbsp water)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 tbsp. mashed ripe banana
2/3 cup packed brown sugar (can add more or less depending on your taste)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour
3 tbsp. walnuts (or any nut, completely optional)
1. Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare loaf pan by lightly greasing or lining with parchment paper.
3. To flax eggs add pumpkin, mashed banana, maple syrup, olive oil and whisk to combine.
4. Next add brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and whisk together.
5. Add water and whisk again.
6. Add oats and gluten free flour and stir. If the mixture appears too wet, add in another couple tablespoons of oats or GF flour. It should be semi-thick and pourable.
7. Pour into loaf pan and top with nuts.
8. Bake for 40-47 minutes, or until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and let set in pan for at least 20 minutes and then gently transfer to a plate to cool.
10. Let cool completely before slicing, preferably several hours, otherwise it can be a bit crumbly.
11. Eat and enjoy! I promise this tastes better than the one they sell at Weshop!