A third suspect has been identified following the robbery of a University student last week, according to an email alert sent to students by Scott W. Rohde, the Director of Public Safety.

Last Tuesday morning, at 2:03 a.m., the student was robbed at knifepoint while walking down Church Street, as an Argus article reported last week. One suspect was immediately arrested following the incident, and, by Wednesday afternoon, a second suspect had been arrested. As Rohde’s latest email stated, both of the initial suspects have been charged, but the specifics of their charges were not mentioned.

According to the email alert, charges are currently pending on the third suspect.

“This situation illustrates how Public Safety, Middletown Police, and the community can work together to quickly respond when serious incidents occur,” Rohde wrote. “The importance of remaining vigilant in reporting suspicious activity cannot be overly stressed.”

In an earlier email alert sent immediately following the incident, Rohde stated that the student was walking on Church Street in the 100 block when a vehicle approached him. The suspects, according to the email, displayed a knife and demanded the student’s property.

The student’s backpack, cell phone, and wallet were stolen as a result of the incident, the earlier email alert stated. The student was not injured.

In this latest email alert, Rohde stressed that people should report suspicious activity to Public Safety, or, in the event of life-threatening situations, call 9-1-1.

Rohde stated in the previous alert that students should also take precautions when walking around campus, especially after sunset.

“Walking in groups and in well-lit areas provides greater safety,” Rohde wrote. “Always report suspicious persons or activity to Public Safety immediately.”