I’m going to let you in on a rather dark secret: I am, quite shamelessly, an autumn-aholic. Yes, it’s true. I am addicted to anything and everything having to do with fall. Aside from being the season of my birth month, autumn brings with it beautiful scenery, apple picking, hayrides, pumpkin patches, Halloween spirit, and countless other simple joys. However, of all these wonderful festivities and amusements, nothing brings me greater happiness than fall flavors. Upon noticing even the slightest change in leaf color, I, like many other people with my Long Island upbringing, begin to crave apple, cinnamon, squash, sweet potato, and, above all, pumpkin.

I decided to whip up a batch of pumpkin pie truffles to sate this desire. Inspired by classic pumpkin pie, these treats are essentially the bite-sized, dorm-friendly equivalent of one of my favorite autumn desserts. Composed of pumpkin, gingersnaps, cream cheese, and sugar (not to mention a generous coating of dark chocolate), the truffles require only six ingredients that can easily be found at Weshop. Though the freezing process is rather lengthy, most of the preparation can be completed quickly.

So, if you’re feeling the fall spirit as much as I am, embrace the season! Do yourself a favor:  jump in a pile of leaves, carve a jack-o-lantern, and, to top it all off, make these truffles. Your inner autumn-aholic will thank you.

Ingredients

1 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs
1 tsp. cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
7 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 10 oz. package dark chocolate chips, for dipping

Directions

1. Combine the pumpkin puree, cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice), gingersnap crumbs, cream cheese, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Mix ingredients well.
2. Put the mixture into the freezer for approximately 30 minutes to harden slightly. Then, remove from freezer and scoop into 1-inch balls. For the “perfect” truffle, form each scoop slightly in the palm of your hand.
3. Place the balls on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and put them back to harden in the freezer for another 30-60 minutes.
4. Place chocolate in microwave until fully melted.
5. Using a fork, dip truffles into mixture to coat fully. To remove excess chocolate, tap balls on edge of bowl and slide back onto the cookie sheet.
6. Continue until all truffles have been coated completely and decorate with leftover chocolate, a dusting of spice, or any other way you wish.