Led by a historically strong First-Year class, the women's tennis team went 17-1 against St. Lawrence and Hartford University last weekend.

The women’s tennis team took on the University of Hartford, a Division I squad, and St. Lawrence University, a Division III squad, in non-conference dual matches on Oct. 12. Five first-years played all but one of the six singles matches and there was a first-year in each doubles match, as well, as the team put on a clinic for its opponents. The Cardinals lost only one match out of 18.

“There are definitely some things that we all agree are areas with room for improvement,” said Head Coach Mike Fried. “But I can’t really find much to complain about with results like [what we had this past weekend].”

At court number one, Eudice Chong ’18 returned from her participation at the Asian Games to coast through the competition: She only surrendered one game in singles play the entire day. She defeated her Hartford Hawk opponent 6-0, 6-1, and then swept the St. Lawrence competition 6-0, 6-0.

“There is a very specific technical term that most people might not be familiar with. [Chong] is really, really good,” Fried said.

Aashli Budhiraja ’18 also proved far too strong of an opponent for her foes. She won 6-3, 6-3 in her first match and 6-1, 6-1 in her second. Nicole McCann ’18 emerged undefeated as well, winning her two matches 6-2, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-0. At court number four, Helen Klass-Warch ’18 showed off her abilities with a sweep in her first match, 6-0, 6-0, and turned in a similarly dominant performance in her second 6-1, 6-1. Dasha Dubinsky ’18 followed the example of her teammates, winning her two matches 6-0, 6-3, and 6-1, 6-1. Ella Lindholm-Uzzi ’17 won her first match against her Hartford opponent 6-0, 6-4, but was unable to capitalize on the momentum in her second match as she lost 2-6, 2-6.

In doubles play, at least one first-year was featured on every squad. The court one pairing of Chong and Klass-Warch showed promise again after the players’ efforts at the Sacred Heart Doubles Invitational. They handed both of their opponents an L as they cruised by with 8-2 victories. Budhiraja and Dubinsky had the closest doubles match of the day against Hartford as they edged out the opposition with an 8-6 result. The last doubles group of McCann and Lindholm-Uzzi overpowered the other side with two 8-3 victories.

“I’m excited about our doubles in general and I’m excited to see us take a step up in terms of the level of competition,” Fried said. “We’ll see how we play this weekend against several of the best doubles teams in the region.”

It’s been three years since the Cardinals have started their season with two back-to-back dual match victories. In that year, that team emerged with a winning season record. If the past can give us any clues about the future, then these two victories speak volumes to the strength of the newest additions to the women’s squad. These two matches are the only dual matches of the fall, but hopefully the team can carry the momentum from its undefeated record into the spring against conference opponents and return to the NESCAC tournament, where Wes has been absent for the past six years.

The Cardinals only have one more competition left in the fall. Today, the squad will travel to the New England Women’s Intercollegiate Tennis Tournament where it will hopefully put forth the same level of play that has given it a 2-0 record this year.

“For the first time in a while, [everyone on the team has] the possibility of doing quite well [at the tournament],” Fried said.