c/o blizer.com

Just thinking about the fact that “Gilmore Girls” is now on Netflix made my very logical, levelheaded friend start tearing up. This is because “Gilmore Girls” is one of those shows that makes its viewers fall deeply in love with its characters and the town they live in. Because seriously, who doesn’t want to live in Stars Hollow?

As a quick reminder, the show follows three generations of the women of the Gilmore family: Lorelai (Lauren Graham), the fast-talking, coffee addicted protagonist; Rory (Alexis Bledel), the bookish, sweet daughter she had at 16; and Lorelai’s estranged, regal mother, Emily (Kelly Bishop). I’ve been thinking about it a lot recently, and I have come to the conclusion that “Gilmore Girls” is one of the best shows ever made. The hour-long show is a magical blend of drama and comedy, with quick, witty, hilarious dialogue and painfully real portrayals of all types of relationships. So, in honor of this perfect show’s triumphant return into our lives via Netflix, let’s take a trip down memory lane and revisit some of the best things about “Gilmore Girls.”

The Writing

Let’s be real: “Gilmore Girls” creator and executive producer Amy Sherman-Palladino’s writing is among the most distinct television has ever seen. Her fast-paced, clever dialogue is littered with an cultural references and is unlike anything else on television. It is a huge part of what makes the show so deliciously wonderful. For instance, when Rory mentions that she might take up golf, Emily is elated and pointedly declares, “You can use your mother’s old golf clubs. They are upstairs gathering dust, along with the rest of her potential.” It’s just brutally funny.

The Theme Song

Anyone who knows me knows what an obsessive Carole King fan I am. But apart from my own personal fandom, King’s revised version of her hit “Where You Lead,” which she rewrote specifically for the show to fit a mother-daughter relationship, is simply perfect. The title card placed over a shot of New England fall foliage with King’s raspy, warm tone is an impeccable way to set the mood. There is arguably no better title sequence and theme song than the one used for “Gilmore Girls” (although those for “That’s So Raven” are pretty amazing too, I must admit). Lastly, the fact that King’s own daughter, who she had as a teenager, sings with her in this version makes me literally sob.

The Clumsy Chef

Before Melissa McCarthy was the scene-stealing, puppy-heeling, female fight club-loving Megan in “Bridesmaids,” she was Stars Hollow’s very own Sookie. Playing Lorelai’s klutzy, adorable, quirky best friend, McCarthy is a delightful addition to the show.  I could watch her and Jackson (Jackson Douglas), the farmer she eventually marries, debate about fruit for hours. Sookie’s little pigtails, her hands covered with colorful Band-Aids, and her effortless charm make her arguably the cutest “Gilmore Girls” character. It’s refreshing to see, especially since most of the roles McCarthy has played recently have been, although just as genius and hilarious, a little more hard-hitting and assertive. I revel in how versatile McCarthy is, even within just the realm of comedic acting.

The Lead

Lorelai Gilmore has become a figure in popular culture largely due to Lauren Graham’s stunning portrayal of the character. Lorelai is carefree and fun but simultaneously driven, supportive, and opinionated. In my personal opinion, she is one of the best characters ever to grace television. As a fan, there is nothing more you want than for Lorelai to be happy and successful and love herself as much as we love her. Yes, I am talking about her as if she is my best friend because honestly, after watching the show for seven seasons, that is what she feels like. Although Lauren Graham has gone on to play another great single mom as Sarah on another one of my favorite shows, “Parenthood,” her true genius is really seen in Lorelai. She is brilliantly comic and heart-wrenchingly real, all the while drinking coffee and being a great parent.

The Heart

If you’ve read any of my previous television articles then you know that for me, a television show has to be about heart. And there is so much damn love in Stars Hollow that it is palpable. Who doesn’t want to go to the town meeting even though Taylor is yelling the whole time? Everyone in that town cares for each other deeply. All of the citizens of Stars Hollow—Miss Patty, Babette, Kirk, Michel, Mrs. Kim, Al, Luke, and the Gilmore girls—populate the most loving town ever created. And then there are all of the romantic relationships. Whether you are team Luke or team Christopher, team Jess or team Dean, there is a plethora of great couples on the show. But of course, the most significant love on the show is the love between Lorelai and Rory. It is the most supportive, sweet depiction of mother-daughter love ever to exist on television.

Although the loss of the show’s creator caused the final season to be subpar, “Gilmore Girls,” as a whole, is the best of its kind. It seamlessly combines a relationship drama with true comedy and real characters you wish you knew. Stars Hallow is supposed to be halfway between Hartford and New Haven, so I have this dream that one day when I’m driving around Middletown, I’ll make a wrong turn and end up at Luke’s Diner. In the meantime, I will have to make do with watching this marvelous show on Netflix.