Over the course of my 18 years of life, I have come to learn that chocolate is medicinal. This is a conclusion I have drawn from hours upon hours of highly scientific trial and error. However, one experience in particular stands out in my mind as being the most indicative of the healing properties of chocolate.

Not long ago, I came down with a terrible bout of bronchitis. At the time, I was on a ski trip, so one could say that the illness hit me at an inopportune moment. After all, on such a physically vigorous vacation, even the slightest cold can be a complete damper on the experience. So, needless to say, I wanted nothing more than to rid myself of my debilitating symptoms and promptly get back to enjoying the powder.

Of course, I tried the classic meds: Z-packs, Advil, and all that. But in the end, I found that nothing eased my discomfort as effectively as good old Hershey’s chocolate. After I pushed through a day of ski school, my sister greeted me at the mountain base with a handful of milk-chocolate squares. I remember accepting her offering graciously, and upon eating that first piece, my sore throat was coated in a soothing layer of chocolaty, comforting, curative goodness. From that moment on, I knew that for me, cocoa could act as a remedy more powerful than any form of ibuprofen, and I have accordingly used it to mitigate maladies ranging from the common cold to work-related stress.

In its rich deliciousness, this coconut fudge recipe is a prime example of the wonders that a healthy dose of chocolate can accomplish. Made only in a few simple steps (not to mention while showcasing the match-made-in-heaven combination of chocolate and coconut), this treat not only fulfills the majority of sweet-tooth cravings, but also can be made under the time constraints of any stressed-out, chocolate-demanding student. So, if you’re ever stressed, sick, or cranky, don’t bow your head and say, “Oh, fudge!” Instead, go ahead and make some fudge yourself.

Ingredients

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup shredded coconut

Directions

1. Line baking pan with parchment paper. Make sure the parchment extends up at the sides (smearing a little bit of coconut oil on the bottom of the pan will help the parchment stick).

2. Mix the chocolate, sugar, and cocoa together in a large bowl and set aside.

3. In a small saucepan, mix coconut oil and coconut milk together. Stir over medium heat until oil melts and bubbles begin to form. Then, remove from stove and pour coconut mixture over chocolate mixture.

4. Let mixture sit for about a minute, and then stir to melt the chocolate completely. If it appears that it has cooled too much, place the dish over a bowl of hot water and stir until the mixture becomes smooth. Add vanilla, stir, and then pour fudge into baking pan.

5. To finish, press the mixture into the corners of the pan, smooth it out, and toss coconut flakes over the top. Before digging in, let the fudge cool completely. Refrigerate to speed up process.