Between classes, extracurricular activities, and socializing, it’s no wonder that so many college students find themselves in a constant battle with fatigue. This never-ending struggle is usually solved with a single chemical: caffeine. For many students, this means regular trips to Pi Café for a much-needed coffee or iced chai charger.

While caffeine may provide a temporary buzz, it often has other, less desirable effects. Not only do caffeine highs inevitably end with a “crash,” they can also be detrimental to sleep cycles and overall sleep quality.

Fortunately, coffee isn’t the only way to stay awake during your 9 a.m. class. Foods such as apples, dark chocolate, and eggs can provide a similar energy boost while helping you avoid the unwanted side effects of caffeine (and also the line at Pi).

Let’s start with apples. Instead of the substantial dose of caffeine that a cup of coffee provides, a medium-sized apple contains about 15 grams of natural sugar. The body’s digestion of this glucose triggers blood flow, making you feel more alert. Unlike the effects of coffee, the energizing effects of apples are quite gradual and last for the entire duration of the digestion process. Because of this, apples don’t cause a post-buzz crash.

Dark chocolate can also serve as an appropriate substitute for coffee. While dark chocolate has small amounts of caffeine, it also contains polyphenol, which is a type of antioxidant thought to have numerous health properties that may protect against heart disease, osteoporosis, and some types of cancer. Some researchers believe that polyphenols may increase serotonin levels in the brain (a chemical that contributes to the feeling of happiness), reducing lethargy.

Eggs and other protein-rich foods can help sustain energy levels as well. In addition to containing all nine essential amino acids, eggs are also rich in vitamins and minerals. Vitamins such as riboflavin can assist with energy production in cells.

Perhaps the easiest way of fighting fatigue, however, is drinking plenty of water. Feeling tired is a common symptom of even minor levels of dehydration. Simply starting your day with a glass of water can help keep you alert throughout your busy day as a college student.