Seventeen dancers stand perfectly still with their feet firmly planted and their outward gazes unwavering. The audience waits with baited breath for this group of extraordinarily talented dancers to make its first move. In this motionless moment, which begins the final number of the show, the audience is finally introduced to this year’s Precision Ensemble in its entirety.

After rehearsing for nearly two semesters, Precision presented its annual Ensemble performance in Wesleyan’s ’92 Theater on Friday, April 18 and Saturday, April 19. Precision is a student-run dance group currently led by co-directors Stellar Levy ’15, Jillian Roberts ’15, and Cynthia Tong ’14. The group is divided into two sections: Troupe, which attracts hip-hop dancers, and Ensemble, which showcases contemporary, modern, and jazz choreography. Unlike other dance opportunities at Wesleyan that only last one semester, such as Terpsichore and Winter Dance, Precision offers its members up to four years of consistent involvement.

“Precision [is] special [because] you’re dancing with this small group of people over time and really learning not only how each other dances but how the other people communicate dance,” said Ensemble member Rebecca Hutman ’17.

This long-term commitment, paired with the members’ extensive dance experience, resulted in an impressive, polished show. The dances were remarkable not only because they showcased the dancers’ refined technique, but also because they conveyed expressive stories through movement alone. One such meaningful narrative was expressed in Hutman’s piece, “Roots that Bind.” The inspiration for Hutman’s choreography was her own inner conflict, which involved redefining the role of dance at Wesleyan.

“[When you transition into college] you come without associations, and there are some you knowingly leave behind and some you choose to bring with you,” Hutman said. “And I think maybe this is what this dance is about. It’s like choosing to make dance something that I carry with me, and it feels kind of completing.”

These sentiments were expressed in her choreography, which involved dancers assisting one another throughout the piece.

The last number, “Ooh La La,” told a story of celebration. Levy and Tong explained that their goal was to create a dance that allowed the members to focus on the execution of challenging choreography.

“I think sometimes it’s really fun to dance for dance’s sake,” Tong said. “I think that we do that a little bit. In the dance department when you are choreographing something, you are really thinking about what is the impetus behind the movement. When [Levy] and I choreographed the group piece, we were just like, ‘what are fun moves we can put together?’”

As a result, this piece allowed the audience to simply enjoy watching the dancers showcase their love of technique without needing to ponder larger meta-themes.

Precision is also noteworthy for its longevity as a student group; this year’s show marked its 20th anniversary, and the co-directors are making a concerted effort to connect with alumni. In fact, several alumni attended the Saturday performance as well as a pre-show dinner with Precision’s current members. Group members are excited that the Precision community is expanding, as this network of alumni can become a valuable resource as members look for opportunities beyond Wesleyan.

Precision’s co-directors have also been working on cultivating a greater sense of community among the group’s current members. In the past, Ensemble has begun rehearsing for its spring show two weeks before the performance. Although it was possible for well-trained dancers to learn and perfect choreography in this condensed period of time, it did not allow them a lot of time to forge lasting connections with one another. In order to strengthen relationships among group members, this year’s co-directors began rehearsals in November. Their efforts to unify the group had great effects both on and offstage.

“[Ensemble] feels kind of like a family,” Hutman said.

This dynamic has enhanced the group’s overall performance.

“It’s always a great show, but this semester I felt onstage we were more connected than other years,” Tong said. “I talked to several audience members, and they said they felt a really great vibe from the show.”

The co-directors have also been trying to integrate Precision into the larger Wesleyan dance community. Because Precision is a self-selective group, it has sometimes been perceived as elitist. This status has been reinforced by the group’s historical motto, “Number One.” However, current members have a new vision for Precision’s reputation.

“We really try not to embody [‘Number One’] because we don’t believe in that,” Tong said. “There are so many amazing dancers on campus. To call ourselves ‘Number One’ just doesn’t feel right at all. I think everyone in the group seems to want to connect outward and not only with our community.”

This inclusive trend is pervasive throughout the Wesleyan dance community. Every semester, more students become involved in dance opportunities and attend dance performances.

“I’m always struck how many people will come out to support their friends,” said Ensemble member Maya Berkman ’16.

All of the recent dance shows, from Terpsichore to Precision, have been followed with an abundance of positive reviews. This year’s Precision dance was especially enjoyable to watch because the members’ love of dance was so visible, from their pointed toes to their satisfied smiles at curtain call.