c/o Wesleyan Athletics

Not even through his junior season, LaDarius Drew has already made his mark on the Wesleyan track and field program. The two-sport athlete has received many accolades in football, including first-team all-conference, while also possessing five track and field team records.

Despite owning the outdoor records in the 100m and 200m dashes for the Cardinals, Drew is always looking to improve on his times and better himself as an athlete and competitor. Drew sat down with The Argus to discuss how the season is going so far and what his expectations are for the remainder of the year.

The Argus: Coming straight off of the indoor season, what sort of expectations did you have for the spring? How has the team matched those expectations thus far?

LaDarius Drew ’15: During indoor season, we were on an upward trend to be a threat outdoors.  We have been upholding that trend. The women’s 4×4 just broke the school record at the Elmer Swanson meet. I feel like the men’s side is doing well, and we can only get better if we stay healthy. It’s been tough on a few guys, but they are making strong comebacks, however.

A: How has the newly refurbished Anderson Track made an impact on any of your events?

LD: The new and improved Anderson track has boosted my performance by providing a place to have track practice! Last year, we had to travel to Middletown High School and Coginchaug High School in Durham, and that took away from precious practice time. Now we have the track, we have more time to get some good work in every day.

A: What sorts of personal goals have you set for yourself this season and how do you rate yourself so far in reaching them?

LD:  The main goal I’ve set for myself is I want to be a champion of Little Threes, NESCACs, and beyond. I feel like the year of injuries I had my 2012-2013 season held me back slightly from that goal, but I’m making up for lost time at an intense rate. I’m happy where I am, and I plan to keep on improving as the season continues.

A: How does your mental preparation differ here, from when you’re in-season training for football?

LD:During football season, the mental preparation for competition is significantly more intense. You’re playing chess against the man in front of you, and you never know what he may do. Football is difficult in the sense that you’re never playing the same person and you game plan differently for each team while you’re continuing to hone your own talents so you can incorporate them. With track, you’re battling against yourself every week. It’s special because you feel yourself improving and take pride in that. Your muscle memory, speed, endurance, and self-discipline all play a part in getting medals.

A: Have there been any major surprises to date in the season? Are there any new athletes who have stepped up in a major way?

LD: Ellie Martin ’16, a sophomore transfer from Trinity, [and] Nikita Rajgopal and Aidan Bardos, both freshmen, have definitely been exceptional at their events as newcomers on the squad. I expect big things from them as they continue to improve in their respective events.

A: With another year of experience running, do you feel like your role on the team has evolved in any way?

LD: Yes, my role has definitely went from a learner to a person who encourages and continues to push his teammates. I feel like I’m expected to be more mature, yet to show that the team is a team and can still have plenty of fun among all the work that we put in daily.

A: What, if anything, has struck you as really unique about this year’s squad?

LD: We’re all hard workers. No one on the team is lackadaisical, and it shows every week. Everyone gets better if they’re healthy, and even if they are injured, their condition is improving. It’s a great sight to see.

A: What sort of mindset are you in entering this weekend’s Little Three contest? Can you offer any predictions?

LD: I’m hyped about my chances against the Little Three competition. I have been working hard to get back to where I used to be, and this is definitely my opportunity to establish my place within the NESCAC track community for this year.