While most students were relaxing over break, the men’s lacrosse team played five games over the two-week stretch, two of them in Florida against Clarkson University and Keene State, tallying a record of 3-2. During the recess, the Cardinals improved to 3-0 in the conference by defeating Bates 10-6 and Middlebury 11-5, building upon their season-opening victory over Hamilton.

“Obviously, our play within the league has been very successful, going undefeated in league play,” said Co-Captain Elliot Albert ’14.

The Cardinals’ two losses, which dropped them down to number 20 in the NCAA rankings from number 14, came on the road against Union College, by a score of 7-5, and on their trip in Florida to Clarkson University, by a score of 12-9.

“The Clarkson loss taught us that we cannot expect to ease past any team,” said Co-Captain Aidan Daniell ’14. “Despite a four-goal lead, our lack of effort and composure was exposed by a team that prides themselves on their hustle.”

After the loss to Clarkson, the team bounced back and wrapped up its Florida trip with an 11-8 victory over Keene State. Early in the second half, the Cardinals trailed 6-4, but then rallied to score five unanswered goals leading to the victory. This surge was led by attackman Matt Prezioso ’15, who had his second 5-goal game of the season, and leads the Cardinals with 20 goals so far in  2014.

“Matt Prezioso has been a real standout for us this season, having two five-goal games against Bates and Keene State,” Albert commented. “He has really come into his own in his junior season.”

The win over Keene State was not only a confidence booster for the team, but also a historic one for Head Coach John Raba, who earned his 200th win at the helm of the Cardinals.

“It feels great that it could have happened here against a good quality opponent like Keene State,” said Raba. “I felt we had to grind for that one and so for me it was very satisfying to win against a good quality team for my 200th win.”

“To be a part of Coach Raba’s long winning history here at Wesleyan is really special for us” Albert said. “He is a great coach and also an unbelievable role model who we all just really want to win for.”

Although the Cardinals went 3-2 over the break and were pleased with the NESCAC wins, they were able to learn from their losses, which they hope will benefit them in the long run.

“I think the Florida trip helped our team, because we learned after the Clarkson game that we cannot expect to rest on our laurels and remain undefeated,” Daniell said. “Hopefully this message will resonate throughout our season.”

The Cardinals were welcomed back to Wes by balmy 30 degree weather, compared to the 70 degree temperatures of Florida, but the cold did not stop them from rolling over their competition. This past Tuesday, the Cardinals extended their home winning streak to 12 games and improved to 6-2 on the season with a convincing 13-2 thrashing of Farmingdale State. The Cardinals had 12 different players score in a game which they dominated all facets by outshooting the Rams 36-16, causing 10 turnovers, and winning 13 out of 19 face-offs. The Wes defense stepped up, allowing 16 shots. Goalie Mark Simmons ’14, who once again was stellar in net, gave up zero goals while making four saves before being given the rest of the afternoon off when Justin Schick ’15 took over between the pipes, followed by Ted Bergman ’17, and finally Evan Isaacs ’17.

“We have a lot of dynamic plays on the defensive end and it starts with Elliot and Sam Stanton ’14,” Raba commented. “They are just tremendous leaders for us and great communicators. Our goalie has been playing outstanding.”

As the Cardinals enter conference play this Saturday at Colby, they look to continue to dominate and stay undefeated in the NESCAC.

“We are really playing as a unit, which is really, really key for us moving forward,” Raba said after the game on Tuesday. “As long as we can do that and stay in sync with what we are trying to do defensively, I think we will be really tough to score on for the rest of the year.”