Shannon Welch/Photo Editor

Wesleyan women’s lacrosse came into this 2013 season with several promising numbers. With the return of 15 letter-winners—including the 2012 season’s top five scorers, whose collective scoring accounted for an overwhelming percentage of the team’s goals last year—the women’s lacrosse team seemed poised for a successful season. But the 2013 season has begun with a rocky start for the Cardinals—one that will hopefully not be indicative of the remainder of the season.

Playing in the same league as the returning national champion, Trinity College, as well as five other nationally ranked teams, the Cardinals face a NESCAC schedule is one of the toughest in the country. That being said, last season’s 1-9 conference record is still quite respectable, as many of those were close, down-to-the wire matches. It goes without saying, however, that Wesleyan looks to improve on that mark in the 2013, which it has not yet begun to do.

Women’s lacrosse kicked off the season on March 8 with a match on the road against Williams College, marking the inauguration of Little Three play. The Cardinals started the game strong, as Kayla Ellman ’13 and Caty Daniels ’15 scored back-to-back goals in the early minutes of the first half. Kaylin Berger ’13 scored at 12:35 in the first half to give the Cardinals a comfortable 3-0 lead. Maddy Coulter ’14 even further cemented Wesleyan’s advantage, giving the team its fourth goal of the match. But the Ephs fought back, getting on the scoreboard with just seconds remaining in the first half and then out-scoring the Cardinals by a margin of 9-2 in the second. Despite a couple more goals from Ellman and Berger, the Cardinals couldn’t stop Williams’ impressive run and ultimately fell 10-6.

The Cardinals met nationally ranked Hamilton College the following day, falling behind the Continentals early and never recovering. Berger led the squad with three goals, while Ellman, Catherine Taibi ’13, and Lydia Kring ’13 each had a goal apiece. The Continentals ultimately bested the Cardinals 9-6.

In their next match on Wednesday, March 13, the Cardinals took on Eastern Connecticut State University. Wesleyan dominated this match, taking the lead early on and never looking back. Coulter, Berger, and Daniels all had hat tricks against Eastern Conn, while freshman goalie Nina Labovich made a series of impressive saves as Wes cruised to a 13-9 win.

The team returned to conference play on Saturday, March 16, taking on the Bates Bobcats at home. As with all previous meetings of the two rivals, the game was evenly matched from the start, with frequent lead changes. Berger scored the first two Cardinal goals of the match, tying it up and soon after, Abby D’Angelo ’14 gave Wesleyan a brief lead. A pair of goals by Kring early in the second half again put the Cardinals ahead. The Bobcats scored again to tie, and then a goal by Daniels once again gave Wesleyan the lead. Two more quick goals by Bates in the final seconds of the game decided the match, as the Cardinals fell by a heartbreaking margin of 8-7.

Wednesday, March 20 saw the Cardinals on the road once again, as the squad headed to upstate New York to take on non-conference foe Skidmore College. Berger and Ellman started the game strong for the Cardinals, each registering a pair of goals in the first 10 minutes of the match. A hat trick by Ellman in the first 30 minutes of the match solidified Wesleyan’s winning effort. Berger also had four goals in the match, Coulter scored a couple, and D’Angelo rounded out Wesleyan’s scorers with a goal of her own. The Cardinals ultimately won 11-8.

In their final spring break match, the Cardinals met nationally ranked Middlebury at home. The Panthers had their number from the onset, ultimately winning by a substantial margin of 18-5. Ellman had two goals for the Cardinals this match, and Coulter, Berger, and Kring had one apiece.

Needless to say, it has been a disappointing start for the Cardinals. Although several key Cardinal players, most notably Berger and Ellman, are performing quite strongly, other players will need to rise to the occasion and become contributing factors if the team hopes to improve on its NESCAC ranking.

The Cardinals currently stand at 3-4 in overall play and 0-4 in the NESCAC. after their win against Dominican College at home on Thursday, March 28. They will take on Babson College on the road on Saturday, March 30.