Glenn Hartman-Mattson ’14 scored two goals and Ashleigh Corvi ’13 recorded 37 saves this past weekend as the Wesleyan women’s hockey team found its offense in a Saturday afternoon rematch against Hamilton College. The Cardinals dominated in a 4-0 victory after suffering a 3-0 loss to the Continentals in Friday night’s matchup to split the weekend series.

Friday’s opener saw the Cardinals hold the Continentals to a tight score, ceding a goal to Hamilton seconds before the end of the first period, before

FRIDAY

SATURDAY

a scoreless second period. Wesleyan saw its best scoring opportunity come on a shot by Jordan Schildhaus ’15 in the second period that ricochetted off the crossbar of the Hamilton goal, but the Cardinals were unable to get on the scoreboard. The score remained close until late in the third period, when Hamilton put in two goals to pull away with a 3-0 victory.

The Cardinals returned to the ice on Saturday looking to come away with a series split, pressuring the Hamilton goalie early and often before finally getting on the board in the second period. Wesleyan scored first on a freshman connection  when Cara Jankowski ’15 slotted the puck into the net on a pass from Hannah Jellinek ’15 minutes into the period. Fans didn’t have to wait long, as the Cardinals added to the score less than a minute later when Hartman-Mattson tallied her first goal of the game. Wesleyan continued to put pressure on the visitors and started to pull away in the third, with Hartman Mattson adding her second goal of the

game to start the period and Schildhaus adding another with just seconds remaining to give the Cardinals a 4-0 victory.

The 4-0 win marked Wesleyan’s second NESCAC win of the season, improving their record to 3-17.  Corvi recorded her first career shutout with the win, making 37 saves in a game in which the Continentals held an 18-shot advantage over the Cardinals.

Women’s hockey continues their NESCAC action this weekend with a two-game series at home against Colby College. The two teams first square off on Friday night at 7pm.