Six burglaries took place in residential and administrative buildings on campus over a 24-hour period last Thursday and Friday. According to Directory of Public Safety (PSafe) Dave Meyer, the Middletown Police arrested one suspect, who is not a University student, in connection with some of the burglaries and are pursuing more arrest warrants for others involved.

According to Meyer, one of the burglaries occurred in an administrative building, and the rest in HiRise apartments and Foss Hill dorms. He said that the suspect, who has been arrested, has admitted to several of the burglaries.

“We think this person is involved in the majority of [the burglaries],” Meyer said. “The police department is still actively investigating this and trying to recover some more of the items. We have gotten some of the items back, not all of them, but we are working with them to identify property and see where this takes us.”

Meyer said the police were able to recover some of the electronics that were stolen, including a computer, with the assistance of a laptop tracking software. In one case, the robber had sold the computer and the buyer opened the computer to see that it had been reported stolen and subsequently contacted the student about it. Meyer encouraged students to take advantage of the University’s free tracking software, FrontDoorSoftware, to help recover items in the future.

“Although thefts do occur, there are things you can do,” he said. “It’s vital that students have protective measures for their electronics like FrontDoorSoftware.”

Arya Alizadeh ’13, whose HiRise apartment was robbed, said he returned from Thanksgiving break and saw that his apartment had been “shaken up” and his laptop, some electronics, and money were missing.

“When I’d really figured out that he’d broken in was when I found a chocolate bar on the ground,” he said. “I don’t eat chocolate, so he’d actually gone through our food as well.”

Alizadeh said he’d heard that the suspect was a drug addict. He was unsure of whether his door was locked or if the lock was picked, though he said that the fact that the burglar made it into High Rise was disconcerting.

“I think it’s a pretty serious issue that a person was able to not only get into HiRise, which requires two security key swipes, but also get into our door,” he said. “I think it’s a pretty serious flaw that Wesleyan has in on-campus security. Thank God my roommate or I weren’t there because it could have been a safety issue.”