This fall, the NCAA piloted a number of potential rule changes in Division I lacrosse, including the addition of a shot clock—which seems to be debated on a near-annual basis. Vermont and UMass, for example, played with a 75-second shot clock in the Catamount Classic last month. The chorus calling for the introduction of a shot clock in college seems to be louder than ever this year, and it’s time for the NCAA to heed the cries of this group.

The rationale for introducing a 75- or 90-second shot clock is simple: Under the current setup, a team that is ahead late in the game can simply stall in its attack area and play keep-away, depriving its opponent of a possession and chance to tie the score. The NCAA rulebook has an existing means for dealing with this—a team can be warned to “keep it in” the attack area if an official feels the team is stalling, and teams are required to “keep it in” in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter if ahead—but nothing in the rule mandates attacking the goal following a stall warning. On the other hand, a shot clock would render the issue moot—a stalling team would be guaranteed to lose possession.

In addition to eliminating late-game stalling, the introduction of a shot clock would introduce more unsettled fast-break situations, some of the most exciting in sports. As it currently stands, following a turnover, teams must simply clear the ball within the allotted time, and then can take their time setting up the offense—a process that can take well over a minute. Touch the ball into the box, bring it back out, substitute in the offensive midfield group, and then get to work. Perhaps it’s just me, but I’d imagine teams wouldn’t take 60 seconds to set up their offense if that would leave them with just 15 seconds to get a shot off. This would also place a greater emphasis on two-way midfielders; given the tight time constraints, teams would likely be forced to leave the same three middies on the field following a change of possession, rather than constantly slowing it down and substituting in transition.

Teams such as Tufts have made it their hallmark to capitalize on such unsettled situations, pushing the ball up quickly and forcing the offensive middies to remain on the field—a recipe that typically yields an easy goal. A shot clock would allow everyone to create such opportunities, forcing teams to adjust by training their midfielders to play at both ends.

Another idea that has been floating in conjunction with the addition of the shot clock is the addition of a two-point line. It has been argued that this is a necessary complement to a shot clock to prevent defenses from simply packing it in; Major League Lacrosse, which currently uses a 60-second shot clock, also has a 16-yard two-point arc. This, too, would add an exciting new wrinkle to the game. Many zone defenses are designed to take away the inside shot and force attackers to shoot from well outside. The addition of a two-point arc would likely lead to a fundamental shift in defense, forcing teams to defend on the perimeter a la basketball.

Certainly, the addition of a shot clock is not without its drawbacks. As Lacrosse All Stars’ Connor Wilson—incidentally a 2004 Wes grad—pointed out, it is simply not feasible to require the installation of basketball-style shot clocks on the field, given their cost. However, Wilson proposes a simple solution—have officials keep the shot time with a waist-mounted signaling device, like they do for clears. Teams already have to mentally keep time on clearing situations, so the lack of a visible shot clock should not present significant difficulties. It is also very possible that a shot clock will lead to teams taking more bad shots to avoid a turnover—but what’s to stop teams from doing the same thing to avoid a stall warning under the current rules?

Much like the introduction of the shot clock in college basketball, this is an issue that merits serious discussion. However, the fall ball pilots suggest that the NCAA is seriously moving in the direction of adding a shot clock, a very welcome change. Lacrosse, a sport whose foothold was once limited to Maryland and New York, is the fastest-growing sport in the country. A shot clock would go a long way toward ensuring new fans experience the highest-quality product possible.