Men’s soccer made quick work of yet another NESCAC opponent on Wednesday afternoon, shutting down the Connecticut College Camels 1-0 on their home turf.

The win brings the Cardinals to first place in the NESCAC, with a 3-0-0 conference record (3-0-1 overall). Meanwhile, the loss for the Camels marks their first of the season and brings their conference record to 2-1-0 (3-1-0 overall).

Once the opening whistle had blown, it did not take long for the Cardinals to seize the lead. In the sixth minute, co-captain midfielder Zach Dixon ’12 unleashed a cross from Conn’s left side that forward Noah Schlesinger ’13 one-timed it in from eight yards out at the far post.

“Beautifully done by Noah,” Ian Waldron ’13 mused. “Just a great lower-leg into the scorebag.”

The goal was the first scored on the Camels in 2011, who had previously held opponents scoreless for a total of 275 minutes.

The rest of the match saw Wesleyan manage the clock well, with a deft display of short passing amongst the midfielders and forwards. Yet in the last 20 minutes of regulation, the Conn offense applied increased pressure and garnered several close opportunities.

Fortunately for the Cardinals, the back four met the challenge with tenacity. Ben Bratt ’15 stymied a number of Camel advances, and netminder Adam Purdy ‘13 contributed five saves on the contest.

This weekend brings more NESCAC action for the Redbirds. On Saturday at 1:30 pm, Wesleyan hosts Little Three rival Williams in what promises to be a challenging match. Not only does Williams also sport an undefeated record (2-0-1), the squad is ranked 11th nationally, according to Tuesday’s NCAA coaches’ poll. On Sunday, Wesleyan travels to Clinton, NY to face the Hamilton Continentals (1-2-1). A live webcast will be available from the Wesleyan Athletics website starting at 2:30 pm.

About Drew Hudson

Drew Hudson grew up in the heart of basketball country, Charlotte, North Carolina. He is a huge basketball and football fan, but also loves golf, tennis, and the occasional baseball or hockey game. Drew also loves poetry, Cocoa Puffs, walks on the beach, rap music, and reading a good book in his Snuggie. His sports idols are Tyler Hansbrough, Steve Smith, Sean May, Baron Davis, and Julius Peppers. Drew one day hopes to write for the sports section of a major newspaper or sports network.