Based on a recommendation by the Sexual Violence Task Force (SVTF), the vacant Director of Health Education position has been filled by Tanya Purdy who started on April 4. Purdy said that she hopes to put WesWELL back on the map for students.

According to the SVTF, the task force felt it necessary to fill the WesWELL position, which has been vacant for two years after former Director Lisa Currie left in fall 2009, in order to improve the quality of sexual violence response and prevention on campus. Director of University Health Center Joyce Walter said that other recommendations made by the SVTF include a search for a new director of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), which is currently underway.

The SVTF was charged with reviewing the University’s existing policies, educational efforts, resources, and support systems regarding sexual violence and assault in fall 2010.

Purdy said that she is eager for the challenges and opportunities that the position will offer. According to President Michael Roth, a key part of the position description was to deal with issues of sexual assault and violence. Purdy said that she hopes to make positive changes specifically in these areas.

“My job is to make sure I’m impacting the health behavior that helps students succeed; alcohol and sexual assault being at the top of that list,” Purdy said.

Purdy said she wants to implement various programs about alcohol and sexual assault, such as a bystander intervention program. She also stressed the importance of each member of the community being well trained in their specific area—from Public Safety officers to nurse practitioners—in order to make the sexual response well-rounded and effective.

Purdy previously worked as a Program Coordinator for Health Promotion at Montclair State University in New Jersey and said that she is excited to be in a different and more intimate environment.

“I’m really happy to be here and to be working with Wesleyan students,” Purdy said. “It’s really inviting and warm, and definitely the kind of place that I want to work.”

According to Purdy, she enjoys the University community and looks forward to meeting and interacting with students. She said that the Director of Health Education position appealed to her more than other jobs due to the amount of student interaction. According to Purdy, her first week has gone very well and she hopes to promote and improve WesWELL services as soon as possible.

“I’m really excited to put WesWELL back on the map,” Purdy said. “I want everybody to know who we are, what we do, and what we offer.”

• Oscar Serious

She’s purdy.

• David Lott

And nice.

(From “Rate My Professors):

“Easiness5
    Helpfulness5
    Clarity5
    Rater Interest1
    she’s so nice! the class is quite easy and basically all u have 2 do is show up…I reccomend her over alot of other student seminar prof’s
    Flag this rating

12/3/07 GNED199
    Good Quality
    Easiness4
    Helpfulness4
    Clarity4
    Rater Interest3
    complete sweetheart, the class is pointess, but she tries her best to make it as easy s possible. write a few papers, read what she tells you to read, the prjoject can be annoying so get it done asap it’s not that hard. “

• Rob Salkowski

Tanya is truly a wonderful asset to your program. She will will strive for nothing less than the best. Can’t wait to hear great things from your university!