As the curtains open and the familiar music begins playing, I can’t help but smile. “The Muppet Show,” created by brilliant puppeteer Jim Henson, is one of the greatest programs ever to go on the air and it is just as entertaining now for our generation as it was in the seventies, the show’s main cast included a number of puppets, including Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Miss Piggy, and many others. Each episode features a human guest artist and is organized as a variety show. These variety acts are mixed in with scenes from backstage, often with MC Kermit.

The Muppets are ridiculous, but in the most amazing way possible. The acts are over the top, filled with large amounts of slapstick comedy that sometimes goes past the point of being explained. That, however, is the beauty in the show. You don’t have to understand what exactly is going on, you only have to understand that the writers of the show were out of their mind and that’s what made it funny. The most incredible part of the show is the plethora of unique characters developed on the show. Everyone who watches has a favorite character. Here’s a list of some of the best puppets developed by Henson and his team:

– Gonzo: No one on the show was more…off… than Gonzo. A lovable, um, well no one knows what he is (see Muppets in Space for the answer) who tries so hard to create a successful act yet continues to fail at doing so.
– The Swedish Chef: Sure, he can only speak in gibberish, but this chef has a soft spot in my heart. His goofy antics and odd cooking habits make him lovable and fun to watch.
– Beaker: Another character with the inability to speak a recognizable language, Beaker communicates through a series of loud chirps that no one can really understand except his boss, Dr. Bunsen (as in Bunsen burner).
– Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem: the in-house band of the Muppet Show, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem is filled with characters that spoofed various music styles: Dr. Teeth, the “hip” band leader and keyboardist; Sgt. Floyd Pepper, bassist and Beatles spoof; Janice the hippie guitarist; Animal the crazy drummer (and my personal favorite character) and Zoot, their chill jazz saxophonist (Lips the trumpet player was added in the last season).
– Statler and Waldorf: When people look for heckler idols, these two top the charts. Statler and Waldorf, only found in the balcony of the Muppet Theater, are two old men who make fun of anything the Muppet cast does, without remorse. They take great joy out of ridiculing anyone who performs an act.
– Sweetums: The lovable seven-foot monster, Sweetums is adorably scary.

Of course the stars of the show, namely Kermit, Miss Piggy, and Fozzie Bear, are equally entertaining and funny. They move the show along and provide a great baseline for these supporting characters to play off of. Still, it’s the delightful variety of Muppet characters that truly make the show shine. Say what you will about the Muppets, but in my opinion they will always be the best thing ever brought to television.