The Great Dip-Off

, by ,

Just in time for the Super Bowl, The Argus editors share their favorite dips. It’s up to you to decide whose is best!

Crack Dip

By Eric Stephen

Production Manager

If you’re at all like me, you like hot sauce on everything – eggs, French fries, pizza, Funyons, anyything. So naturally the best dip would have to include hot sauce.

Ingredients:

8 ounce package of

cream cheese

1/4 to 1/2 cup of blue cheese or ranch (whichever you like)

1/2 cup hot wing sauce

1 cup shredded sharp

cheddar cheese

2 cups cooked shredded chicken

2 minced green onions

To make Crack Dip, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. First mix all of the ingredients, except the shredded cheese, in a baking dish. After the ingredients are mixed together, mix in half the shredded cheese. After 15 minutes of baking, top the dip with the remaining cheddar cheese and put back into the oven for 5 more minutes. The cheese should de slightly golden on top. Buffalo lovers, enjoy!

Spinach Artichoke Dip

By Bea Lomongo Paterno

Editor-in-Chief

Even though I grew up in a country where football was actually played with your feet, I was also raised to never turn down any excuse to eat. This one may be a little short on the grease, but the warm melted deliciousness of my favorite dip is, in my opinion, the perfect antidote to a freezing cold winter.

Ingredients:

1 pack frozen chopped spinach

2 cans of artichoke hearts

1/2 cup full-fat greek yogurt

1/2 cup sour cream

1 cup freshly grated parmesan

1 cup grated pepper jack cheese

salt, to taste

Pepper, to taste

hot sauce, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a casserole dish with a nonstick spray. Heat the spinach in a microwave for 5 minutes and squeeze dry. Drain the artichoke hearts and chop them up in a blender. Stir all the ingredients except the jack cheese in a large bowl, and place in the casserole dish. Drizzle jack cheese on top evenly, bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy with bagel chips, and don’t burn your tongue!

Adapted from the Food Network.

Baked Potato Dip

By Alex Wilkinson

Features Editor

This delicious dip recipe, which I found on the excellent recipe website thepioneerwoman.com, will come as a welcome gift to anyone who waits in line at Usdan for minutes on end for delectable servings of stuffed baked potato.

Ingredients:

16 ounces sour cream

8 ounces cream cheese

1 package pre-cooked

crumbled bacon

1/4 cups diced green onions

1 and 1/2 talbespoon Worcestershire sauce

2 cups shredded

cheddar cheese

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, mix the sour cream, cream cheese, bacon, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, and cheddar cheese until blended well. Cover the mixutre with foil and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until dip is heated through. Serve with your choice of crackers and enjoy the Super Bowl!

Guacamole

By Erin Newport

News Editor

Guacamole is a classic. Bring it to any gathering, and you will be the guac of the town. Legend has it that that the delicious green mush dates back to the Aztec empire, and you’ll get extra authenticity points if you use a molcajete and tejolote (translation: basalt mortar and pestle of Mexican origins) to mix the ingredients. A fork also works.

Ingredients:

3 ripe avocados, peeled

and pitted

1/4 cup finely chopped red onion

1 tablespoon lime juice

1 chili pepper, chopped finely

1 roma tomato, seeded and diced

Mix all ingredients to preferred taste and consistency, using as many avocados as possible, and perhaps using caution with the chili peppers, but that’s a personal choice.

Tapenada Dip

By Miriam Berger

Opinion Editor

No Superbowl is complete without a bourgeoisie-tapenada dip. This is for everyone who shrinks at the thought of nachos covered in cheesy goop as a Super Bowl snack of choice.This recipe goes well with baguette slices or crackers, or even on its own if you love olives as much as I do.  It does require a food processor or blender—but if you don’t have one you can just “chew and tell.”

Ingredients:

1 cup kalamata olives, pitted

1 cup green olives, pitted

1 tablespoon chopped

fresh flat-leaf parsley

1 tablespoon capers, rinsed

and drained

2 teaspoons chopped thyme

1 teaspoon grated lemon rind

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 garlic clove, chopped

Combine all ingredients in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until olives are finely chopped.

Natty Dip

By Justin Pottle

Features Editor

Few things say “Super Bowl” like kicking back with a couple buds and Budweisers – or, for those of us young ’uns, a couple O’Douls – in front of a giant television. Good times. So, this weekend, if you’re seeking to maximize your intake of malted barley, why not toss some of that week-old Natty in your pretzel dip? This thick, creamy dip goes great with chips and pretzels, and the recipe makes a ton, so go all out. And as far as your beer of choice, it’s really up to you.

Ingredients:

2 packages (8 ounces each)

cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup beer

1 envelope ranch dressing

2 cups shredded

cheddar cheese

In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, ranch, and beer until its nice and smooth. Stir in the cheddar, and you’re good to go. Serve with pretzels and more beer.

Adapted from tasteofhome.com.