Islamophobia has recently become a prominent presence in the United States. Articles and forums with titles like CNN’s “Holy War: Should Americans Fear Islam?” (ABC, October 3) demonstrate the problems inherent in such fears. To deplore the beliefs and actions of some 1.6 billion practicing Muslims of the world is a dauntingly large undertaking and, frankly, quite an unreasonable one. Fear of Islam at large assumes a monolithic Muslim people and culture, but religions, and especially those that are so complex and pervasive as Islam, are anything but homogeneous. Along with Islam, Judaism and Christianity—Islam’s companions as religions of the book—both encompass a vast range of denominations, each with its own distinct set of practices and interpretations of the sacred texts. Thus, it is no more accurate to assert that all Muslims are the same than it is to assume homogeneity among Christians and Jews.

The anti-Muslim discourse that has pervaded the United States as of late has appeared in news features, protests, Wespeaks, and many other media outlets. In light of these public expressions of discord, we, the Interfaith Justice League, feel compelled to address contemporary American anti-Muslim sentiment, and the confusion from which it is borne. Indeed, a host of misunderstandings have coalesced to form the American brand of Islamophobia that is so prevalent and normalized by the media today.

One of the most prominent American misconceptions about Islam is that Muslims at large pose a terrorist threat. Again, this fear stems from the conception of all Muslims as an ideologically and culturally unified people. While Muslims do feel unified on the one belief that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the last messenger, this belief works primarily to form a foundation for the practice of Islam, from which practitioners diverge due to geographical, cultural, and ideological disparities. That said, the fundamental tenets of Islam foster a largely tolerant and pacifist disposition within the Muslim faith.

The United States has a history of constructing the ‘other’ in American society. Irish, Italian, and German immigrants, blacks, and Latin and Native Americans, among others, have all played this special role in the American sociopolitical landscape. Now, within the mainstream media, Muslims seem to be taking the helm. Each group that has played the role of the ‘other’ role has, within a certain conservative American consciousness, posed a threat to the notions of white privilege and manifest destiny. The idea of Muslims defiling American sacred space, as a few extremists did on September 11, 2001, is intolerable to many. This trepidation is enhanced by a fear of a Muslim takeover of the American way of life. After September 11th, images circulated of New York City’s skyscrapers topped with minarets, insinuating an Islamic takeover of the United States. This notion of a physical takeover stands as a symbol for the more deep-seeded, albeit unwarranted, fear of a displacement of American values with Muslim ones.

The historic fears about immigrants degrading American culture, which mirror the current fear of an Islamic takeover in America, have not come to fruition. Rather, the multiplicity of cultures and peoples in this nation have come together to comprise the complex matrix that is “American culture.” Indeed, while racism remains a widespread problem in our country, cultural differences that were previously seen as insurmountable have been breached in a number of areas. That being said, Muslim and American identities are not mutually exclusive. Indeed, the part of the American ethos that makes it so unique is an openness towards outside cultures and ideas.

As activists, we place great importance on the elimination of hate speech against Muslims, and the most direct way to work towards this ideal is to increase Americans’ understanding of Muslim people and cultures. As a part of a larger effort to facilitate Wesleyan’s understanding of the multifaceted problem of Islamophobia in the United States, the Interfaith Justice League will host a panel discussion on the Park51 controversy and Islamophobia in general, this Thursday, November 4th in Shanklin 107 at 4:30pm. Come one, come all, to learn more and help dissipate the injustice of misinformed hatred towards Muslims. We hope that reflection on American perceptions of Islam will foster a broader dialogue on discrimination at large.

Peacefully yours,

The Interfaith Justice League

• Abdul Ameer

This is nothing more than a politically correct, ignorant, pro-Islamic propaganda piece! You should be ashamed of yourself for publishing it.
    You wrote:
    “the fundamental tenets of Islam foster a largely tolerant and pacifist disposition within the Muslim faith.” This is an outright lie. The fundamental tenets of Islam foster permanent war against non-Moslems until Islam reigns supreme in the world. Of course, many Moslems do not follow the tenets of Islam, but more than enough of them do follow those tenets to make trouble for the whole world. We must always distinguish between the tenets of Islam and Muslims as people. Some Moslems follow those tenets, and some do not. Those tenets will always be a source of inspiration for many Moslems to practice violent religious bigotry against non-Moslems in general, and against Jews and Chritians, in particular.
    Here is a sampling of the doctrines of Islam which motivate the hearts and minds of hundreds of millions of religious Moslems:
    FROM THE KORAN:
    “ the (only) religion (acceptable) before God is Islam.” (3:19)
    ” If anyone desires a religion other than Islam, never will it be accepted of him.” (3: 85)
    “You are the noblest community ever raised up for mankind.” (3:110)
    ” The unbelievers among the people of the book and the pagans shall burn forever in the fire of Hell. They are the vilest of all creatures. (98.6).
    “Surely the vilest of animals in Allah’s sight are those who disbelieve. (8.55)
    “The unbelievers are your inveterate enemy. (4:101)
    “Mohammad is God’s apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another. (48:29).
    “It is unlawful for a believer to kill another believer, accidents excepted. (4:92)
    “Believers, take neither the Jews nor the Christians for your friends. (5:51)
    “Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God’s religion shall reign supreme. (8:40)
    “Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God’s religion reigns supreme. (2:193)
    “The true believers fight for the cause of God, but the infidels fight for the devil. (4:76)
    “We will put terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. (3:151)
    “I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, strike off the very tips of their fingers. (8:12)
    FROM THE SAYINGS OF MUHAMMAD:
    “Muhammad said to the Jews: “If you embrace Islam, you will be safe. You should know that the earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle, and I want to expel you from this land. “
    “Allah’s Apostle said, “You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, ‘O ‘Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.’ ”
    “Mohammad said, “I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, “None has the right to be worshiped but Allah, and whoever says, ” None has the right to be worshiped but Allah , his life and property will be saved by me.”
    “Muhammad said: “Fight in the name of Allah and in the way of Allah. Fight against those who disbelieve in Allah. Make a holy war, …”

In addition, the most popular manual of Islamic sacred law, approved by the highest Islamic religious authorities of Jordan, Syria, Saudi Arabia and Egypt, says: “Jihad means to make war on non-Muslims.” What could be clearer than that?

And, how about this:
    Ayatollah Khomeini, the most important Moslem leader of the 20th Century, said: “Those who know nothing of Islam pretend that Islam counsels against war. Those who say this are witless. Islam says: Kill all the unbelievers just as they would kill you all! Does this mean that Muslims should sit back until they are devoured? Islam says: Kill them, put them to the sword and scatter their armies…. Islam says: whatever good there is exists thanks to the sword and in the shadow of the sword! People cannot be made obedient except with the sword! the sword is the key to Paradise, which can be opened only for the Holy Warriors! There are hundreds of other Koranic psalms and Hadiths urging Muslims to value war and to fight. Does all this mean that Islam is a religion that prevents men from waging war? I spit upon those foolish souls who make such a claim.”

And, how about this:
    From Jihad in Islam by Sayyeed Abdul A’la Maududi, one of the most prolific and most widely read and influential Islamic writers of the 20th Century:
    “The goal of Islam is to rule the entire world and submit all of mankind to the faith of Islam. Any nation or power that gets in the way of that goal, Islam will fight and destroy.”

All of this is Islam — the faith, the belief system, the ideology.

• Jared Gimbel

I don’t know what you’re describing exactly, as hateful as it seems, but if you are going to at least try to argue something:

(1) Look at arguments that have been made before, either in scholarly publications or even on casual online forums.
    (2) See if they have been refuted.
    (3) If they have been, don’t continue with them.

What you describe here, if I had to give a name to it, is Islam CONFLATED WITH MALEVOLENT POLITICS. Islam is by far not the only religion to be politically abused.

Remember the Crusades? The Blood Libel? That is Christianity being MISUSED for hateful politics.

I am a Jew, and while I still find it right to celebrate Hanukkah, I also have to realize that the Hasmoneans and the Maccabees comprised a fundamentalist regime in which forced conversions to Judaism were undertaken. The Pharisitic Rabbis who compiled the Talmud disliked the Hasmonean regime. They made Judaism possible today. Not only that, but among the Pharisees was…Jesus of Nazareth, a name familiar to many of you, no doubt.

For the sake of all that is holy, PLEASE do not use individualized opinions to represent the whole.

I will give you that “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion” is a best-seller in many Arab countries (sadly) and that many Islamist governments manage to impose sanctions on certain publications, infusing an anti-American and anti-Israel sentiment with them.

If none of these governments existed, would Islamophobia be a problem? Most certainly not. Would they probably behave the same way, Islam or no Islam? Given the existence of Pan-Arabism, a force which has been largely misused…probably yes.

Islam exists in many places without a problem, when there are secular governments that have absolutely freedom for all and religious authorities that do not selectively quote as an incitement to racism or something like it.

The incitement of some Islamic communities to commit hateful incidents, primarily against Jews, radiates from propaganda from Islamic countries that are not free. As long as they can manipulate the United Nations, they can do whatever they please.

By no means are these BAD nations that should instantly die. Iran was a secular government under the Shah, a place frequently visited by Americans, and a good friend of Israel’s to boot…until this Ayatollah you speak of started the revolution.

And now one of the worst things you can do to get in trouble with the Palestinian Authority…as a Palestinian is the heinous iniquity of…CLAIMING THERE WAS ONCE A JEWISH TEMPLE IN JERUSALEM!

(By the way, if you want to discuss Israeli politics with me, you WILL lose…)

Religion can subsist quite well without being evil. Politics CANNOT. Politics mixed with religion is the greatest blasphemy possible and the only reason why Islamophobia exists.

Just ask yourself: if every single Islamist government on earth were secular, would any of what you wrote hold true?

• Anti-candorphobia

If one wishes to speak of “phobia”, one should speak instead of Candor-phobia, the fear of and revulsion toward perfectly legitimate criticisms of Islam.

Thus Secular Muslims (interested in reform) are left unsupported because Leftists fear being accused of bigotry by Muslim Brotherhood affiliates, more than they fear being branded moral cowards for abandoning the defense of human rights.
    http://www.centerforinquiry.net/isis

• Thanks, but no thanks

Q: How many thousands of atrocities are going to fly across their transom before the learned analysts of academia begin to question their assumptions?

A: No amount of evidence will be sufficient, because their orthodox dogmas (Islam is a “Religion of Peace” that has been “hijacked” by a “tiny minority” of “extremists”; “Islamophobia” is a twin “extremism” paralleling “Islamic extremism”; etc.; ad nauseum) aren’t based on evidence in the first place. Which is fine, until they smear anti-jihadists of good will for the violent actions of their own “social activists”; and then ask the rest of us accept their unassailable ignorance as academic “truth.”

Thanks, but no thanks.

• Matthew 23:24

The writers have apparently been in a coma (both before and after 9/11) since they appear to think 9/11 was the only incident of Muslims attacking non-Muslims. If they weren’t in a coma, there’s no excuse for such gross stupidity.

Islamo-supremacists must take responsibility for the global jihad of their co-religionists when thousands over the past two decades kill thousands of innocents of every religion around the world; and when they deprive non-Muslims of their human rights in 57 of 57 Muslim governed countries.

Many American Muslims may be the very soul of moderation. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable for folks to ask for more from (allegedly) “peaceful” Muslims affiliated with the radical Muslim Brotherhood than disingenuous whitewashing of uncomfortable elements of Islamic sharia tradition, as practiced in Iran, Gaza, Kashmir, Malaysia, the Paris banlieue… and (pointedly) Cordoba House in NYC.

A genuine tiny minority of anti-jihadist Muslims may be found @
    http://www.centerforinquiry.net/isis

Americans remain breathless in anticipation of the vast majority of (allegedly) “peaceful” American Muslims supporting this genuinely tiny minority of their co-religionists… but don’t hold your breath.

• +16K

+16K deadly Islamo-supremacist attacks globally since 9/11 don’t lie.
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Don’t parrot the propaganda lies of Islamo-supremacists your whole lives.

• Jared Gimbel

It is not befitting that you get the last word.

These “+16K” attacks wouldn’t be happening if bad leaders didn’t urge them to do so.

The text isn’t as important as the interpretation is. Hebrew Bible has FAR more violence than the Qu’ran does, but it doesn’t mean that their followers’ violence is directly proportional.

Take away the power from the malevolent interpreters of the texts, and all will be well.

• Rohland

Something I do observe in Islamic advocacy and apologist articles is that the numbers of Muslims in the world keeps going up.
    around 2001 one read numbers of 800 million Muslims.
    According to this article the number of Muslims has doubled to 1.6 billion in just 9 years time.It is highly unlikely that these figures give an accurate picture of the number of Muslims in the world.

• SAS

This is a good article – intolerance and hostility based on race and religion should have no place at all in contemporary societies.

• Anti-candorphobia

[Jared sneered: “These “+16K” attacks wouldn’t be happening if bad leaders didn’t urge them to do so.”]

And yet they are. So, how (precisely) does Jared propose to “Take away the power” from the jihadist “interpreters” of Mo’s Mein Kampf?

Sneering “Islamophobia” (ad nauseum) does absolutely nothing to support reformists.

• Jared Gimbel

Well, have YOU, Mr. Anti-candorphobia, been in existence when these bad leaders were NOT present? Have you been alive before the days of Haj Amir-al Husayn and/or Ayatollah Khomeini?

Back in the 1910’s, there was not only minimal anti-Semitism in many Arab lands, but also support of Jews coming to the Holy Land–in ARABIC NEWSPAPERS. Why? Job opportunities for Arabs (and everyone else!) in a place not previously arable or wanted.

And then the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem (Haj Amir) came along, and thus aligned were many Arabs and Islamic leaders with Hitler’s regime.

The same cultural supremacy prevalent in quasi-Nazi regimes is still evident the desires of many serials and televisions series in the Arab World to make the world “Judenrein” and impose an Islamist government on everyone.

Do YOU see the connection? And “take away the power”? How do you do it?

The United Nations is a place which is not doing its job. It should be providing a stronghold of human rights for all, and to prevent past terrible iniquities from being repeated.

That hasn’t been the case. Clearly, thousands of live infants being thrown in bonfires in Darfour doesn’t seem to be as much of a problem to the U.N. as the tiniest amount of accidental deaths of Palestinians on behalf of Israel (~4). The latter is sufficient an excuse for an emergency meeting.

Chechnya? Darfour? Kosovo? No one cared or did anything, as far as the U.N. was concerned.

The Islamist regimes are gaming the system that is supposed to keep them moderate and sane. The charter of the U.N. expresses the need for a balance of all states and rights for all. Has it worked? NO!!!!

But did the original founders want it to work that way? YES!!!

The people who have the power to change things call evil good and good evil. Bring these regimes to justice…and all will be well. Remember what Iran was before the revolution? (See above) Perhaps it could be that again.

Saladin, still admired by many Arabs and especially Palestinians (from what I have read) was someone who treated all warriors with respect and even his enemy with kindness. Certainly, in his day, he used his religion to deal with people kindly.

The Muslims in the Interfaith Youth Core do very much the same, only they don’t even need to fight at all. They do good deeds because their Islam motivates them to do so. Strange, huh? It shouldn’t be.

I also highly encourage you to conduct an experiment with an independent and dependent variable to determine if these “+16K” attacks would happen without bad leaders.

Oh, sorry…that’s called a case study…

Get good leaders, and the image of Islam would turn around. Certainly a lot of terrible things have been done in the name of Christianity, and therefore Christianity’s name was accordingly stained by scholars much in the same way that Islam is being treated today.

But what is Christianity’s image now, when Christian fundamentalist regimes are gone?

Feel free to do the math or the thinking yourself.

• all will be well?

Ah, I see– so Jared is evidently convinced (by local taqiya vendors?) that Islam motivates “good deeds” toward non-Muslims. That naive’ appeal to the particular would be charming if it weren’t so tragically misinformed about the nature and intent of their soft jihad (da’wah). Also, your particular (provencial) experience does not argue to the general: witness also your own cited evidence in Darfur, Chechnya, Kosovo, etc. ad nauseum.

But thanks for sharing the silly “reasoning” underlying your appeal to Chip Diller.

• q.e.d.

@SAS: Remind readers again, what “race” is Islam?

• Anti-candorphobia

[Jared boasted: “Have you been alive before… the 1910’s”] I had no idea Jared was an centarian. Congratulations!

Notwithstanding, the history of Islam is one of bloody genocide stretching well before your limited century of perspective. For those interested in a more scholarly discussion of the phenomenon, try Dr. Andrew Bostom’s “The Legacy of Jihad: Islamic Holy War and the Fate of Non-Muslims” @
    http://www.andrewbostom.org/loj/

• Jared Gimbel

If you would like me to be condescending, Mr. Ironically-named-“all will be well”, I will win that contest if you’d like to have it. But something tells me that it wouldn’t be worth the trouble.

I can be VERY mean, but I almost never choose to do so. But please, don’t make me. Student at Wesleyan or not, let’s handle this like scholars, shall we?

Let’s try not to be overly emotional. It only purveys your own insecurities and perhaps the need to correct something within yourself by being angry at others.

Islam is a successful religion. No denying that. But successful things need stability and a variety of tools.

Any religion needs to be able to motivate “good deeds”. Any law code needs to be able to motivate “good deeds”, or being kind towards one’s fellow man, and even people OUTSIDE of the community.

Let’s give an example of a community that didn’t have that tool: Sparta. Yes, that polis in Ancient Greece. They were quite aggressive, enslaved everyone in the sector to their west. No kindness to outsiders, a rigid structure that was more steel than any heart, and their excellence was warmaking.

Aristotle notes further: the excellence of warmaking, and the exclusion of all else. Was Sparta famous? Yes. But successful? In some respects, but hardly…

Ghengis Khan’s empire didn’t seem to last too long either. They too, specialized pretty much…entirely in warfare.

People seem to enjoy pointing out this “spreading Islam by the sword” as the only aspect of it in existence. Well, if it were, than it would have died a long time ago.

Islam, believe it or not, tended to look to Judaism for its inspiration, both in their holy texts which deem the Jews as chosen, and by many of the leaders who viewed them favorably as well.

The Israelites had a brief phase of warfare, with tiny other phases of warfare throughout its history. It, too, had an exclusionary culture with slavery, and many other things that would be “evil” by today’s standards.

The Hebrew Bible has the same idol-burning and heathen-killing culture as well. Only that stopped due to a number of factors, the most effective of which was the exile of the elites of Judah by the Chaldeans. (By no means am I saying that the Destruction of the First Temple is positive, by the way).

With many countries with Islamic presences, like in Ancient Israel, the belligerent phase phased out. Albania (Muslim majority country in Europe) is the ONLY country in Europe that had more Jews after the Holocaust than before. Why? Because religious Muslims were sheltering Jews, under the EDICT OF THEIR LEADERS.

Then blah blah, Haj Amir, Nazi alliance, State of Israel = PERSONAL DEMONS of belligerent religious past, as valid in Judaism and in Islam, come back.

If the Jews held 22 governments on earth, it is likely that the same would have happened in their case.

And are you somehow implying that Chechnya’s and Kosovo’s situations are/were being carried out by Muslims somehow? Ummm….

Throwing around your keywords won’t do you any good. Don’t try to be pretentious. Try to be clear. Then maybe you and I will both glimpse the truth, whatever it is, and maybe we will both be better of when that happens.

• Jared Gimbel

Herr Candorphobia, are you aware of the fact that using only one scholar as a source can make your argument very unstable? (referring to the 11:32 post…)

• Hey Jared

Do they serve healthy Sandwiches at the Subway in Tel-Aviv

• Jared Gimbel

I wouldn’t know. I was in Jerusalem. And I wouldn’t order sandwiches anyway.

Wouldn’t that be a topic for another thread? I’d be glad to discuss Israeli food with you…maybe a topic for my next article.

• Hey Jared

But it says here that you spoke at the opening of the first Kosher subway in Cleveland.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Fogle
    so you must know more than you are letting on.

Keep up the good work! I am a big fan.

• Jared Gimbel

In case you think that “Gimbel” is a corruption or rendition of “Fogle”, I feel the need to remind you that “f” usually becomes “p” when hardened. If he were Jared Kimble, I could understand. But he’s someone entirely different. Also, 10-year age different.

That said, why would you eat sandwiches anywhere in the Middle East when you can get falafel?

• hippies smell

Jared’s talking to himself again?

hello? …is this thing on?

• Arafat

Jared,

Do you see a pattern here? Or does it escape your pre-programmed brain?

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/Jesus-Muhammad.htm

• Jared Gimbel

I’ve calmed down a little. Don’t worry. And PLEASE, let us try not to insult anyone, and maintain a calm and mature tone.

There is no such thing as a pre-programmed brain in a selective university.

You know what, that chart had actually been made before…but with a twist.

You might know of this person named Saul. He liked to write letters. He changed his name from Saul…to Paul.

He was very discontented with the heroes of traditional Judaism. Imagine that chart in that picture, but with all things said about “Islam” and “Muhammad”, imagine it said about Jews and Hebrew Bible figures (perhaps take out and add a few things).

Jesus and the Christian message, he figured = FAR more pristine than all of the heretics, heathens, and baboons in the “Old Testament”. Okay, maybe I’m making it more hyperbolic than it needs to be.

Enter the Christian Roman Empire. Arabia knew Rome and Christian Rome existed…Byzantium, if you please. Did it work very well, and not implement violence and love for all?

No.

So perhaps noting the Jews, a people who Muhammad admires at many junctures, without as much violence and cruelty and cruel politics, Islam combines more elements from Judaism…including passages, both positive and negative…with obvious references in the Hebrew Scriptures.

All successful faiths are violent. Islam included. I will concede that. Also, human rights is not a distinctly Islamic concept, with Western notions. But why Aristotle and Hellenism are Western and yet have a home in Islamic and Arab culture…escapes me. Maybe they need to re-discover their roots in part.

Claiming that Jesus is STRICTLY more moral than any other figure is problematic. His messages certainly seem sweeter, but how easy are they to put into practice? Way too difficult to be realistic, say some anti-Christian apologists.

All religion is NOT the same. All messages can be INTERPRETED the same, though. This rabble-rousing site that you show me is in no stretch scholarly.

I suggest you check out a Dictionary of Religion, where a holistic view of Islam and its relations to all else, throughout time, and confirmed by a variety of scholars, can be found.

That isn’t it.

• ShadrachSmith

What about the reasoned dislike of mass murder, enslavement and rape? Is that allowed?