After last weekend’s volleyball action ended in two losses to formidable teams Bowdoin and Tufts, who were tied for the NESCAC league lead with identical undefeated records, they had planned for this to be weekend different. Wesleyan was confident that they could boost their 1-3 record against similarly ranked state rivals Trinity (1-3) and Connecticut College (2-2). However, they ended the weekend tied for eighth in the ‘CAC with a 1-5 record after losing in straight sets to both Trinity (23-25, 20-25, 13-25) and Conn (21-25, 20-25, 19-25).

200 fans packed into the Silloway Gym on Friday to watch Wes duke it out with Trinity in their lone home game of the weekend. The game started off with the closest set of the day, a 23-25 loss for Wesleyan, and from then on Trinity never faced nearly as much resistance. On a positive note, the Wesleyan offense was more balanced then they have been in past contests, and while Casey Reed ’12 led the team again with nine kills, she was far from the only contributor as Alissa Santucci ’12 and Kim Farris ’14 also contributed five kills each. Unfortunately, the service game favored the Bantams, who had seven service aces to Wesleyan’s one, and only eight service errors to the Cardinals’ 12.

Hoping to put this unfortunate game behind them and jump out of the gates on the road, they faced tough yet beatable Conn. College. While Wes certainly played better and more consistently throughout, the squad was unable to come away with a victory, and lost their fourth conference game in a row as well as their sixth straight.

The team upped their team block total from just two against Trinity to seven against Conn. Wesleyan also improved its .104 kill percentage to .160 but also had a higher total number of attacking errors (15 against Trinity and 16 against Conn.).

Despite undesirable results, the Cards remain in the thick of the playoff race and hope to win themselves a berth to NESCAC championships against Middlebury and Amherst this coming Friday and Saturday.

• Fanni

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for wrinitg!