Each Thursday, when my house receives our shares from the fruit and veggie co-op, it becomes my personal challenge to figure out creative ways to use all the produce. Inevitably, a plum gets lost in the bottom of my fridge, or we can’t figure out what to do with three heads of cabbage. So this is my attempt to help you utilize your share with a few quick and simples recipes and make sure that nothing is forgotten in your crisper drawer.

Sautéed Chard

This recipe can also be made with kale or collard greens.

-Wash and chop the chard (you can leave the stems on if you want because they are colorful) into 4 inch slices.

-Put a little olive oil in a pan on medium heat, and sauté some onions if you have any.

-After five minutes or so, add some diced garlic and the chard.

-Stir around several times to make sure it doesn’t burn. Cook for 7-8 more minutes until it cooks down a bunch but still maintains a bright green color.

Pour a little soy sauce on top for flavor.

Apple Sauce

And maybe pear sauce?

-Chop apples (you can keep the skins on if you want).

-Fill a pot 1/3 of the way with water and place the apples in the pot.

-Bring the water to a boil and then turn the heat down and let it simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Be careful not to let all the water evaporate or the apples will burn on the bottom. You will know it’s done when the apples on the bottom are sauce and the ones on the top are easily mashable.

-Add a few teaspoons of cinnamon (and nutmeg if you want), a few squirts of lemon and a tablespoon of brown sugar.

-Remove from the heat and strain out the skins if you want.

-Eat hot! It’s delicious.

Potato Scallion Soup

(I normally make this with leeks, but scallions can work too)

-Wash and chop potatoes into cubes and dice scallions.

-In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and add the scallions with a little salt. Cook the scallions for 5 minutes until they are soft.

-Add a teaspoon of thyme if you have any, and 1/4 tsp of chili powder if you are feeling adventurous.

-Pour in six cups of water, add the potatoes and cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender when poked with a fork, anywhere between 20-30 minutes.

-Blend or puree the soup with pepper and add more salt if necessary. If the soup is too thick, add some salt. If you aren’t a vegan, add a 1/4 cup of milk or cream.

Cabbage and Carrot Cole Slaw

I’ve never made this before, but it looks easy and delicious.From epicurious.com.

-Shred cabbage and chop carrots into long, thin pieces. Toss them together in a large bowl.

-In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar), 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of oil and a little salt to taste.

-Toss together and eat.

Apple Cake Recipe

For the slightly more involved cook, this is a delicious recipe that will make your kitchen smell like Christmas and is a great fall birthday cake if you frost with cream cheese frosting. From 101cookbooks.com

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter and flour a baking dish or pan (a 9 x 13 in loaf pan).

-Chop two cups of apples into 1/4 cup pieces and place in a bowl of water with a little lemon.

-Combine 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl.

-In a separate bowl whisk together two eggs and 3/4 cup plain yogurt and 1/4 cup milk. Whisk in 1/4 cup melted butter.

-Pour the butter mixture on the flour mixture and mix together. Try not to over mix. Drain and dry apples and fold them into the batter.

-Spoon the batter into the pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes. (When I made this, it needed a lot longer baking time so just poke it with a toothpick to make sure it is baked all the way through.)

Happy eating!