SOMERVILLE – Saturday afternoon saw the Cardinals’ struggle to turn offensive opportunities into goals continue, as they fell to Tufts by a score of 1-0 despite outshooting the Jumbos 17-6. The pattern is becoming a familiar one for the Redbirds, who have arguably controlled the ball better than most of their opponents this season in spite of their 1-2 record in conference play and their 2-3 record overall.

The Jumbos scored the only goal of the afternoon in the 20th minute of play as the result of an indirect kick just inside Wesleyan’s 18-meter box, which Tufts midfielder Ron Coleman ’11 received and blasted past goalie Adam Purdy ’13. The indirect kick came off of a dubious foul call against the Cardinals when two players jockeying for position to receive a ball in the air became especially physical.

In spite of the setback, the Wesleyan back four put on an impressive display, allowing Tufts only three shots on goal.

The Cards’ offense turned up the heat as the game progressed, taking a total of 12 shots in the second half. However, Jumbos goalie Alan Bernstein ’12 came up big with seven saves overall to help stave off the Cardinal attack.

Wesleyan looks to rebound at home this Wednesday at 4 p.m., as they take on the Wheaton College Thunder in what promises to be an intense matchup. While Wheaton is currently ranked 23rd in the nation, the Cards are talented and have reason to be hopeful if they succeed in establishing a rhythm for themselves.