Following an historic 2009 season for Wesleyan men’s soccer, goaltender Adam Purdy ’13 is primed to contribute to an equally impressive campaign this fall. As a freshman last year, Purdy asserted himself as an integral component of the team as his impressive debut coincided with the Cardinals’ record-breaking 15-game unbeaten streak and bid to the nCaa tournament. Purdy’s performance, in which he posted a .50 goals against average per game (gaa) and an .886 save percentage, not only influenced the Cards’ success, but also earned him both First Team all-Conference and all-american honors, as well as the selection as nesCaC’s rookie of the year.

since then, Purdy has been hard at work in hopes of an even better 2010 season. in addition to his regular training regimen, Purdy spent summer playing on two club teams, the TsF of COnCaCaF’s super 20 league and the new Jersey rangers of the premier development league, and he feels confident that the competition has helped him come back to Wesleyan in good form. When asked what area of his game he hopes to improve the most this year, Purdy stated his desire to improve his range on crosses as well as his leadership on the field.

This year, Purdy will have a few new players to guide, as the back four will have a significantly different look following the graduation of all-american Jory Kahan ’10 and mark murphy ’10. However, in terms of the group’s style of play, Purdy believes that little has changed.

“There really isn’t that much of a difference in the way our back four this year plays compared to last year’s group,” Purdy said. “But there definitely is a lot more communication needed between our group this year. We have two new players coming into the starting back- line and we want to make sure that we are all on the same page at all times.”

if leading by example counts for any- thing, Purdy has certainly shown the ability to lead with inspired play in important situations. Beyond the impressive numbers, Purdy established himself as a big game player on Nov. 15, 2009 during the first round of the nCaa playoffs and Wesleyan’s final home game. The Cards were tied 1-1 with Western new England College at the end of regulation, but took the day and earned a berth to the sweet 16 thanks in part to two saves by Purdy in the penalty kick shootout. The clincher save came off of WneC’s first shot in the second round of the shootout, a “sudden victory” round, in which Purdy followed teammate Rory O’neill’s ‘13 goal with a fully extended diving stop to his lower left.

“The whole season was full of so many great moments…but if i had to pick one moment i’d pick our last home game against WneC,” Purdy said.

“Penalty kicks can go either way, to be honest, but i think we had the momentum going into it,” added head coach Geoff Wheeler. “And certainly when you have Purdy, you feel pretty good about your chances.”