Amherst sophomore point guard Shannon Finucane was named NESCAC Women’s Basketball Player of the Week after leading the undefeated Lord Jeffs (27-0) to the NESCAC title. Finucane posted per-game averages of 12.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.5 steals, and 2.0 assists during the final two rounds of the tournament. She netted a game-high 21 points in a 69-54 victory over Colby in the title game, including an 8-for-8 performance from the foul line.

Bowdoin indoor track had a pair of school records broken at the Open New England Championships at Boston University. Sophomore Elsa Millett eclipsed her own mark with a time of 0:58.08 in the 400-meter dash trial, earning provisional qualification for the NCAA Championships, while junior Christine Head’s pole vault height of 10-11.75 also set a program record and earned her an eighth-place showing in the event.

Colby women’s basketball received an at-large bid to the NCAA Championship for the first time and has been selected as a host site for the first two rounds. The 23-4 Mules, who fell to Amherst in the NESCAC title game, are currently ranked 22nd nationally in the latest D3Hoops.com poll and will take on Husson University, an opponent they defeated 88-58 on Jan. 9, in a first-round game Friday night. Colby is one of five NESCAC teams in the 64-team field, along with Amherst, Bowdoin, Tufts, and Williams.

Conn. College women’s ice hockey captain Brigid O’Gorman was named a finalist for the 2010 Hockey Humanitarian Award, one of seven finalists for the award. The Hockey Humanitarian Award seeks to honor college hockey’s finest citizen, and this year’s winner will be announced April 9 in conjunction with the NCAA Frozen Four. O’Gorman is a pre-med student majoring in cellular and molecular biology and a member of the Connecticut College Emergency Medical Corps; she has also led the Camels to three NESCAC tournament appearances in her first three seasons in New London.

Middlebury ice hockey had a pair of skaters receive NESCAC weekly honors. Freshman forward Mathieu Dubuc, who had three goals and an assist in a 6-2 victory over Tufts in the first round of the men’s championship, and senior defender Marjie Billings, who recorded four assists as the Panther women defeated Hamilton 8-1, were each named NESCAC Player of the Week. The Middlebury women will look to defend their NESCAC title this weekend at Amherst, while the Panther men are seeking their first title since 2007.
Trinity men’s squash co-captain Baset Chaudhry, the defending national singles champion and top-ranked player in the country, has withdrawn from the College Squash Association (CSA) National Singles Championships, which will be held March 5-7 at Trinity. Chaudhry’s decision follows a much-publicized sportsmanship incident during a Feb. 21 victory against Yale in New Haven. Chaudhry issued apologies to the coaches of each CSA member institution earlier last week.

Tufts men’s swimming and diving took second out of 11 teams at the NESCAC Championships for the fourth time in the last five seasons. The Jumbos swam 11 NCAA “B” cut times at the meet, which was hosted by Williams, and also broke program records in the 100 free and 400 freestyle relay. The Jumbos also earned conference titles in the 200 medley relay and one-meter dive.

Williams sophomore guard James Wang was named NESCAC Men’s Basketball Player of the Week after leading the Ephs to the NESCAC title over the weekend. He averaged 19.5 points, 4.5 assists, and 4.0 rebounds for game as the Ephs won their first conference title since 2007. Wang went off for 20 points, six rebounds, and six assists in a 71-48 win over Bates and added 19 points as Williams defeated Middlebury 64-56 in the championship game.