“Odd Blood” is Yeasayer’s sophomore studio album, and self-consciously so at that.
From the beginning of the record, which bears little musical resemblance to their 2007 debut “All Hour Cymbals,” it’s clear that the band is trying hard to mix things up. Yet while the effort does produce several interesting results, one has to question whether they are maybe – just maybe – trying a little too hard.  

To begin, “Odd Blood” trades in the distinct folky vibe of “Cymbals” for a sort of synthesized, polished ambience that comes across as poppy when sped up and spaced out when slowed down. And when I say “sort of,” I mean just that. The album is a schmorgasborg that is difficult to digest in one sitting. While “Odd Blood” is definitely cohesive, its feel depends more on the production of sound texture from track to track than on inventive songwriting. Musically, it is a much more vague and sprawling than its tightly knit predecessor.  

Because this record goes in so many directions, everyone will probably find something to like, especially those who are listening to Yeasayer for the first time. Highlights include “Madder Red,” which juxtaposes stoic lyrics with an overblown ’80s pop aesthetic; and the funky, danceable “O.N.E,” a song with the potential to be a hit at college dance parties this spring. Another saving grace of “Odd Blood” is the sense of lyrical continuity from song to song that almost hints at a plotline. Tracks three through six tell a relatively linear story of one man’s troubles getting over a relationship, and the final track “Griselda” functions as a dark conclusion to the optimistic second track “Ambling Alp.” The lyrics will undoubtedly give the listener something to think about, given that he or she is interested in investing the time to analyze the album’s message.  

That said, I wish Yeasayer had invested more effort expanding on the unique musical approach they established in their first album. I want to believe they haven’t sacrificed their soul. I really do. I appreciate the fact that they’ve made an effort to break new musical ground. Yet at the same time I find it astounding that among the plethora of genres they covered in this new installation, they barely found room for anything musically similar to their first album. At its best, “Odd Blood” is exciting, while at its worst it sounds like an abandonment.