After a grueling weekend of NESCAC action that included a quadruple-overtime win and a narrow loss, the Cardinals returned to their home court on Tuesday night to face visiting Eastern Connecticut. Despite any lingering fatigue from the weekend, the Cards were able to outlast the Warriors for a 67-64 win.

The first 20 minutes of play were a bit sloppy, and each team shot only 37 percent from the field. Neither squad was able to open up more than a seven-point lead in the first half, and Wes was up just two at the break. The remainder of the game was just as close, with Eastern Conn. going up by as many as six, but the Cards were not to be denied. Shasha Brown ’13 was again the high-point man with 13, and his final bucket with just under four minutes left gave Wesleyan the lead for good. With that bucket, the Cards went up 57-55 and never looked back. Although the Warriors drew within one point twice, the Cards were calm and collected, making four of five shots from the field and two of two from the free throw line after Brown’s aforementioned layup. David Maltz ’11 and Jason Mendell ’12 each made two layups of their own, and though Eastern made a few of its own shots to keep the game close, Mike Callaghan ’13 displayed poise beyond his years at the line, sinking a pair of free throws to provide the final 67-64 winning margin. The Warriors’ final attempt at a three to tie went begging, with Mendell securing the final rebound.

“It was a great win,” Mendell said. “The crowd was wild and made a difference in the game. It was a big win because we have a chance [to make] the playoffs. Anything can happen there.”

Wesleyan had a very balanced scoring night, with nine different players scoring for the Cards. To go along with Brown’s 13, Mendell and Maltz each had 10 points. Although they were outrebounded by a count of 42-26, the team came back from its poor shooting effort of the first half to shoot over 53 percent in the second.

Wesleyan also prevented the Warriors from completing a season sweep of the in-state NESCAC teams. Eastern Conn. had defeated both Trinity (Nov. 24, 77-74) and Conn. College (Nov. 29, 75-74) in overtime in addition to a 71-67 overtime victory over Bowdoin on Nov. 21 in its second game of the season.

Conn. College will be Wesleyan’s final home foe as the Cards continue their playoff push, with tip-off scheduled for 4 p.m. Saturday.