Wesleyan University has brought a lawsuit against former Vice President of Investments and Chief Investment Officer Thomas Kannam and nearly twenty other defendants, alleging breach of fiduciary duty, civil theft, breach of contract, fraud, statutory forgery, and unjust enrichment, among other charges. Kannam was dismissed from his position at the University on October 13. The University filed its suit in the Middletown Superior Court on November 24, requesting a hearing which could force Kannam to put aside a $3 million pre-judgment remedy that would be paid to the University if it eventually wins its case. There was no public announcement, and Wesleyan’s Director of Media Relations, David Pesci, declined to comment.

According to the University’s pleadings, Kannam violated his contract by devoting most of his energies into personal “entrepreneurial ventures,” which diverted his attention away from his duties at Wesleyan. The University also claims that Kannam improperly exploited his privileged access to Wesleyan’s financial information, some of which was proprietary, for his own benefit, and that he used the University’s funds for his own business and personal expenses.

“We deny all of the allegations in the complaint,” said Stephen J. Fitzgerald, Kannam’s attorney. “If there’s going to be a hearing on the pending application for a pre-judgment remedy, we will at that time put on our defense.”

According to the complaint, Kannam began improperly profiting from his position at Wesleyan in 2001, when he and Ralph Gill, an associate, formed Cross Border Capital Advisors, or CBCA. The University released what it claims are some of Kannam’s email correspondences, sent from both his official email address and a personal account he accessed regularly on his work computer, to support its charges.

“Through my portfolio at Wesleyan, I have a window on some very interesting stock ideas,” Kannam allegedly wrote. “If possible I’d like to cherry-pick the best and capitalize on them. Would it be possible to feed Mike’s [Zaninovich] hedge fund and get paid some incentive on the performance of our ideas? Might be the fastest way to some real dough.”

The University claims that around 2006, Kannam became the owner and Director of Investments for the Belstar Group, where he received his own healthcare plan, pension, and corporate credit card, and continued to take advantage of information about Wesleyan’s investments. Belstar’s Managing Partner and Chief Investment Officer reportedly described Kannam as “our critical endowment asset.” The suit also alleges that Kannam took business trips on behalf of Belstar at the University’s expense.

Kannam is also accused of sitting on several corporate boards, including that of his father’s company, Advanced Device Technology Inc., which supplies infrared devices to the United States military, and Vietnam Capital Partners. Wesleyan says that Kannam failed to alert the University President of his involvement in these other boards, which his contract required him to do.

“Another board seat ($=equity)…Whoo, whoo, whoo, whoooooo! They’re adding up,” Kannam wrote in an email to his wife, according to the University.

The University claims that Kannam was aware that his activities represented a conflict of interest, and that he took steps to conceal them. He allegedly created presentations for CBCA under his wife’s name, and, according to the University’s complaint, worked with a partner at Belstar to “draft a letter to the University’s President from an alleged Korean dignitary,” that would conceal his involvement in outside entrepreneurial projects.

“We need to handle this discreetly at Wesleyan since there’s major turnover on our Board now and the new members that are joining take their fiduciary duty seriously in the Sarbanes-Oxley environment,” Kannam allegedly wrote to a CBCA associate in 2005. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act set higher standards for oversight by corporate boards in the wake of the Enron scandal. The suit also argues that Kannam was concerned about the arrival of a new President in 2007, and told his associates that he would have to “lay low.”

When Kannam started working at Wesleyan, his office was located in North College, the main administrative building. The University claims that he lobbied to have the Investment Office moved into its current location at 74 Wyllys Avenue in order in order to conceal his private ventures from his colleagues. The complaint claims that Kannam referred to his office as “The Taj” and used it primarily for his non-Wesleyan business.

The suit alleges that Kannam used a variety of the University’s resources for the benefit of his private ventures. He reportedly offered to have his staff at the Wesleyan Investment Office handle projects for Belstar. In 2007 Kannam allegedly reported that a hedge fund had retained the services of Wesleyan’s Quantitative Analysis Center (QAC), an interdisciplinary data analysis workshop, and that it had agreed to pay a fee of several thousand dollars. This fund was allegedly Belstar, which never paid for the services it received from the QAC. The University claims that Kannam recommended the hiring of several new employees so that he could focus more of his attention on his own ventures. Of one new member of his staff, Kannam reportedly wrote, “I’m so happy. With my extracurricular ventures heating up, he’ll help a lot.”

Finally, the complaint accuses Kannam of fraudulently using University funds for his own expenses on “countless occasions.” The suit alleges that Kannam routinely doctored expense reports to pay for golfing outings, international travel, and even a trip to the 2008 Super Bowl. He allegedly allowed his associates to travel to conferences under the pretense that they were financial advisors to the University. He is also accused of having received “double reimbursement,” when he paid for his expenses using his Wesleyan credit card and then submitted his expenses for cash reimbursement.

The University claims that Kannam’s misconduct was discovered in 2009 and led to his termination, although two days after his departure President Michael Roth sent an all-campus email announcing that Kannam had left to “pursue other opportunities.” The trial has not yet begun, and it remains unclear how the University assembled its case. The Argus will have more updates as new information comes to light.

• More Homework

Yes, the civil plaintiff must prove damages. I suggest you break out your old law books and look up “honest services”. Next I would suggest that you study non disclosure agreements. Once you have completed that homework, come back and I will give you your next assignment. Finally if you think that Kannam was a top performer, you are confusing endowment performance with individual performance.

• Disgusted

Honest Services is not a civil application….and it is highly suspect as a criminal application. Further, the only NDA allegations are a fabrication of the blog. Also, if Kannam’s responsibility is the endowment’s performance…..why would you conclude his performance was different? What else was he hired for?

Go do your own homework…..

Time for Disgusted to review the case as we know it once more —

• Class of 2012

Is Kannam dead yet? I’m just curious. Because entire student body thinks he is a dork and deserve the chamber.

• Stephen Fitzgerald is a jerk

Stephen Fitzgerald, Kannam’s lawyer is a douche bag. He was a douche at law school and a douche in college too. What a loser dork. Kannam you two deserve yourselves. Both of you suck big time.

• Leslie Chambers

Folks, lets not forget Kannam’s emails: This is from one of his classic ones: “Through my portfolio at Wesleyan, I have a window on some very interesting stock ideas,” Kannam allegedly wrote. “If possible I’d like to cherry-pick the best and capitalize on them. Would it be possible to feed Mike’s [Zaninovich] hedge fund and get paid some incentive on the performance of our ideas? Might be the fastest way to some real dough.”

What an asshole you are Kannam

• anonymous

I heard Gill is going to turn Kannam in. Did you guys here that too? Chip? Call me at my old mobile number

• Barnaby Jones

Look at Kannam’s charges! The guy is a deviant! Screw him! Toss his sorry ass in jail and throw away the key.

KANNAM’S BEING ACCUSED OF: “alleging breach of fiduciary duty, civil theft, breach of contract, fraud, statutory forgery, and unjust enrichment…”

• Prosecution

I’ve heard Ralph Gill is bankrupt and that he and his wife are fleeing to Toronto Canada to escape his debtors.

Those who are familiar with the case know that he is being investigated for not paying back a substantial amount of loans.

I can’t go into the details, as I understand the investigation into Mr. Gill has just begun.

Apparently from what I’ve read and heard, Mr. Gill has created a number of very suspicious transactions that never materialized. Hence, I am not surprised to learn that he worked with Kannam as indicated in the article above (quoted below).

“According to the complaint, Kannam began improperly profiting from his position at Wesleyan in 2001, when he and Ralph Gill, an associate, formed Cross Border Capital Advisors, or CBCA. The University released what it claims are some of Kannam’s email correspondences, sent from both his official email address and a personal account he accessed regularly on his work computer, to support its charges.”

• Death Row

Kannam has ripped off our University. He is making fools out of all the admistrators with his gay lawyer who wears a skirt. I say start petitioning and hire a top gun lawyer and go after that bastard and his stupid friends. I’m incensed that he has ripped off our university and might get away with only a slap on his wrists. That is why I can’t stand foreigners like him.

• University Propaganda Office

Joe Pesci here – and if any of yous get any bright ideas here like that greasy former CIO ought to get off easy just gotta let you know da BIG CHEESE aint gonna like dat. He may send Bruno and his thugs here to knock some sense into you’all and that goes for any commie pinko judges or juries out there. JUDGE ya listening – you know how we need this verdict to turn out – Kapische?

• Questioner

Anyone attend todays Kannam hearing? Was it in open court?

• anonymous

Theatre of absurd!

• Case details
  • Questioner II

So what happened at the hearing? JRT, weren’t you, Toby, Bic and Chip going to set up some sort of hot dog stand?

• ML

When did inflammatory posts begin to disappear?

Back in January, I wrote in response to (among other things) slurs made against Kannam’s Indian ancestry.

Not only are those posts are no longer visible, others have been deleted. I was definitely not the 14th blogger, but wrote after a long line of insults.

Is the Argus finally concerned about libel, after all?

• reality check time

ML — ru serious? Are you suggesting that Kannam named his lair the “Taj” to celebrate and pay personal homage to his Indian ancestry? That seems to be the case from a re-read of your January posting. Get real my friend. As they say, ‘there is one born every day’.

• Perspective

Remember, a person’s performance requirements are spelled out in his/her contract and job description. That’s the only basis for measurement. Whether the endowment went up or down does not matter. The only question is whether the individual did his/her best with respect to his/her individual performance elements. Did that person provide his/her full attention and focus to the job that they were hired to do?

• Disgusted

What are the damages?

The allegations are likely grounds for dismissal, limiting any exposure to the university with regard to wrongful termination. However, reflecting upon all of the information provided, the only damages appear to be $20k. Given the endowment performance, I have yet to see anything more.

• CT Sup Ct Watcher

CRITICAL CASE UPDATE: The judge issued some type of order yesterday regarding the motion to dismiss made by the defendants. It appears to be final as it is not arguable. The court website does not indicate what his actual decision was unfortunately. One hint may be that the ‘case disposition section’ remains blank. This suggests that the case is still open and therefore will proceed to trial. On the otherhand, there are no upcoming ‘events scheduled’. Scheduled events would indicate that the case is proceeding. A lack of scheduled events could mean that the case is over. On balance, lacking any other information, it appears that the show will go on. Anyone have any firsthand knowledge?

107.00 02/09/2010 D MOTION TO DISMISS
    RESULT: Order 3/9/2010 HON ROBERT HOLZBERG, J
    107.10 03/09/2010 Court ORDER

• anon

Disgusted:

Nice spin–but your dog don’t hunt.

Go back and read all of Wes’ allegations and redo your damages estimate, but this time do it allegation by allegation.

And where exactly did you get the figure of $20,000? I don’t recall reading that anywhere. Are you guessing? And let me tell you, $20,000 is no small laughing matter.

Remember this, the $3 million pre-judgment remedy request is just a starting point. Once they dive into discovery no telling what else may emerge.

• Disgusted

You’re right anon – it does sound like the administration is on an expedition.

Look, this is a civil case. You have to prove wrongdoing and damages. Heck, Kannam could argue his outside activities enhanced his ability to provide value to the endowment, given the performance.

The $20k was my assumption for the expense account abuse, which is a small sum given where we are now.

• anon

Disgusted, I would agree with you that this whole thing should have been settled. If I were one of the defendants, I would do everything to settle. Why wasn’t it settled? Probably because the fraud and theft extended well beyond expense account abuse.

Also, I assume you saw the Belstar SEC form with Kannam listed. Tell me, why was the Wes Endow Investment Office listed as a financial advisor to Belstar?

Who pays for Kannam’s alleged use of the Quant Center and his staff for outside party work?

• Columbo

where did all the ‘angry students’ of a few days ago disappear to

• Lucky Dog

I would say that Mr. Kannam is lucky there was not a criminal referral by Wesleyan. In other businesses, this type of alleged fraud would be turned over to the district attorney in most cases. I presume that Wesleyan cares only about getting its money back.

• another anon

Perhaps they were scared off by assertions that libelous posts could be traced back to them.

• calendar

They are on spring break, mar 5 to 22

• pot : kettle

perhaps they are (those who called Attorney a douchebag, Kannam an adulterer and Gil a ‘homo’)

• current student

So what does the order given by the judge mean? What’s the latest?

http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/CaseDetail/PublicCaseDetail.aspx?DocketNo=MMXCV095007855S

• anon

I just cannot wait until the Kannam apologists on this website declare victory if some of the charges are dropped.

• current student (freshman)

I know Kannam sounds like a sleaze and ought to have been fired, but wouldn’t it be kind of dangerous precedent if judge declared that
    any employer had the right to “just get its money back” after they employed and fired him?

• anon

fraud is different than simply being a crappy employee

• Disgusted

And what was Kannam’s criminal fraud? The admin seems to have thrown out a big net with a bunch of allegations, but all I have seen is alleged breach of contract and expense account abuse.

I assume there is no pre-law at Wesleyan. (Pre-Law…..Pre-Med….what’s the difference?)

• anon

This is a civil case Disgusted, not a criminal case.

• Disgusted

I know – I was referring to Lucky Dog’s post

• current student

is the case over? what happened?

• Luke R. Hornblower ’05

I never said Kannam is a “great guy.” I was only relating my personal experience speaking with him on the telephone. It appears I am the only person on this board who has had any personal interaction with him.

This discussion is typical of the discourse at Wesleyan, and exactly why I am somewhat ashamed to be associated with the school.

• not so legal eagle

What happened on 3/19? Am afraid I don’t know how to interpret the following:

120.00 03/19/2010 filed by Defense
    MOTION FOR STAY AS TO THE BELSTAR DEFENDANTS
    Not arguable

121.00 03/19/2010 filed by Defense MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT OF MOTION
    TO STAY AS TO THE BELSTAR DEFENDANTS Not arguable

122.00 03/19/2010 filed by Plaintiff
    APPLICATION For An Order Pendente Lite Against Thomas Kannam
    Not arguable

123.00 03/19/2010 filed by Defense
    MOTION FOR STAY
    Motion to Stay as to Ralph Gill
    Not arguable

• Definition

Here’s a definition on Businessdictionary.com:
    Stay of Proceedings – Suspension of the progression of a lawsuit on the order of a court in certain situations such as where the proceedings are obviously frivolous or the plaintiff has engaged in a misconduct.

• current student

seems like they’re trying to get all of the other defendants off the hook and put it all on Kannam?

• anon

Pendente Lite is often used to ensure that a defendant’s assets are preserved pending the outcome of the trial.

A stay is a last ditch effort to suspend proceedings. It may mean that the request by the defendants to have the case dimissed failed. And remember, a stay is temporary.

It has absolutely nothing to do with frivolity or misconduct. If that were the case, there would be a counter suit filed already, or the case would be dismissed.

• Q

Luke, what happened with the SEC internship interview?

• Belfry

Looks like the defendants are trying to pull rabbits out of their hats. Hopefully they have two hats. That’s key!

• John Deere
  • Woops

Wrong case my deere

• Geeezzz

How many lawsuits is Wes engaged in?

• Suit

Very few given the size of the institution

• current student

Wes is in 3 right now… the Kannam case, the Stephen Morgan case (Cornell professor), and a third one with one Simonetta Marcello. go to http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/PartySearch.aspx and type “Wesleyan University” in “Party Last Name” you can see that over the past 10 years, Wes has been involved in 11 cases. however, this is quite small. search “Yale University ” and you get 217 hits!

• Geeezzz

Interesting, as it appears Yale U. has about the same amount but is obviously much larger…..

• Lies and Then Statistics

Geeezzz obviously has an axe to grind or he/she failed stats.