Mytheos Holt,

I’d like to address your last Wespeak, in which you seek to defend your opinion piece, “…But I don’t even like boys.”

Your main argument is that if the queer community seeks equal rights then it should do its best to convince the straight majority that it is not “very different” or “eccentric.” In simpler terms, you argue that rather than the straight majority accepting the queer minority as fellow humans right off the bat (GASP!), it is the queer minority’s duty earn acceptance by proving to the straight majority that it is equally human. I disagree with this view for two reasons. First, it contradicts the basis of human rights as acknowledged by our founding fathers that we are all created equal.

Second, such an impetus on the queer community is impossible due to a disgraceful amount of institutionalized bigotry throughout our society. The queer community is up against those who refuse to acknowledge non-straights as human based on, among other arbitrary things, personal interpretations of certain Biblical passages. The terms “religion” and “moral values” are better understood as euphemisms for hatred of difference, given the way such people use them. It’s hard to get through to those who blind themselves. While they may have been hard for you to digest, the tactics of the National Coming Out Day chalkers represent this truth.

• Nick Mo ’09

Rashkoff,

I’m pretty sure what Mytheos is saying is be a human first and foremost, and don’t let your sexual orientation rule your personality or behavior. This way, if you meet and even become friends with a (closet) bigot, they will literally be “blindsided” by the fact that you are gay when they find out, because of how great (and relatively normal) a person you are. Such an experience is what really makes a person question their beliefs and morals.

Assuming that people do not have the capacity for change is ridiculous. You just have to shed some light upon their ignorance, preferably through their own firsthand experience (mentioned above). It sounds like you just want to throw a big gay temper tantrum and get your way, which is a little immature and naive.

You are in the right as far as I am concerned. In accordance with Jefferson and the founding fathers, all men are created equal, and this issue is unquestionably under one’s pursuit of happiness.

I’m not quite sure about the status of Churches, but I like to see everything as a business. If a Church chooses to be a bigoted institution, although they may be cornering the market on bigots, they are giving themselves the “brand” of bigot, and are therefore alienating marginal and gay clientel. Perhaps you should go entrepreneurial on their asses and create a church that allows gay marriage!

• Nick Mo ’09

Derp! Just saw his reply… oh well.