Last Saturday, while most of campus was enjoying the first day of Fall Break, the men’s soccer team was challenging Amherst on the Lord Jeffs’ home turf, looking to break two school records and continue its magical season. The Cardinals did just that as the game ended in a scoreless tie, making the 2009 squad the first Wesleyan team to achieve nine shutouts in a season, as well as a 13-game unbeaten streak. Their record currently stands at 9-0-4 (5-0-3 NESCAC). While these feats are exciting for the group, the most important product of the tie was the home-field advantage secured by the Cards for the first round of the NESCAC playoffs, set to begin on Sunday.

Saturday’s match in the rain showcased Wesleyan’s outstanding defense. After the Cards held a 6-4 shot advantage at halftime, Amherst stormed the field with an 11-shot barrage in the second frame. Anchored by Adam Purdy ’13, the defense stepped up and warded off the Lord Jeffs, keeping the game scoreless. Each team had a shot apiece in each of the overtime periods, but after 110 minutes of play, the game ended 0-0. Purdy had six saves on his way to his eighth shutout of the fall. Williams took the Little Three title after beating Amherst and tying Wesleyan, with the Cardinals placing second.

The unbeaten-streak record broken by the men is only a few years old. In fact, the seniors on this team were freshmen when the 2006 Cards opened their season without a loss in their first 12 games (9-0-3). The shutouts record is a little older, as the 1980 team posted eight during their 12-2 campaign. The Cards retained their top spot in the Division III New England rankings this week, as well as their number-5 ranking nationally. Wesleyan currently leads the NESCAC in goals allowed with five and goals-against average (0.36). Purdy similarly leads the league with a goals-against average of 0.37 and a save percentage of .918.

Friday’s game against Connecticut College will be the last of the regular season. Currently, Wesleyan and Williams are tied at the top of the NESCAC standings, despite the Cards’ undefeated record. Williams has one loss but one more win, leaving both squads with a .812 winning percentage. If both teams win their final game, Williams has the edge with its extra victory. The lowest the Cards could be seeded is third.

Friday’s match against the Camels will be held in New London. Sunday’s must-see home game is at 12:30 on Jackson Field.