The nationally ranked, conference-leading men’s soccer team snagged two more wins this weekend, blanking two NESCAC rivals by identical 2-0 scores. The Cardinals completed their regular-season home schedule on Saturday, hosting the Bates Bobcats. Next up, after a lengthy drive, was Middlebury on Sunday for a matinee game against the Panthers. This arduous schedule did not seem to faze the Cardinals, who posted two more shutouts, giving the team a record eight in its first 12 games. With a 9-0-3 record so far, this year’s Cards are only the second team in school history to be undefeated after 12 games, matching the feat first established by the 2006 squad.

On Saturday, the Cards got off to a quick start against the Bobcats, as Keisuke Yamashita ’10 scored his fourth goal of the season just under seven minutes into the game. Taking a pass from Harrison Lewin ’12, Yamashita shot the ball into the right side of the net for what proved to be the game-winner. Later, in the 85th minute, he assisted on Noah Schlesinger’s ’13 first career goal. Adam Purdy ’13 once against secured a shutout, notching three saves to keep Bates off of the score sheet. The Cards outshot the Bobcats 14-9, but neither team had many scoring chances due to impressive goaltending and missed marks.

Wesleyan had little time to celebrate its conference win, as the team had to travel to Vermont for Sunday’s match against Middlebury. The Cards got off to a similar start, as Austin Woolridge ’11 scored just under five minutes into the game, with Yamashita, who was named NESCAC Player of the Week, adding another assist to his weekend. Schlesinger added an unassisted insurance goal in the 88th minute, his second of the weekend. The competitiveness was turned up from Saturday’s contest, with the Panthers outshooting the Cards 10-8. Purdy made three saves in the game to ensure the shutout.

“Our result against Bates was big because they are a team we have always had trouble with in the past,” said head coach Geoff Wheeler. “It set the table for the match at Middlebury where another early goal put us in the driver seat from the get-go.”

“The game that truly stands out was the Middlebury one,” said Schlesinger. “Huge displays from the seniors took us through an incredibly hard-fought and intense encounter.”

Both NESCAC victories mean great things for Wesleyan. The Cards are currently atop the standings with a 5-0-2 conference record, just ahead of Trinity and Williams, each of whom has a 5-1-1 record. As the postseason approaches, home-field advantage enters everyone’s mind, and as the Cards continue to win, they are ensuring a favorable playoff ranking.

This Cardinal squad showcases a healthy mix of veteran leadership and rookie determination. Scoring has truly come from all years, while collaborative defense has also been responsible for much of the success. The veterans have provided a foundation for the squad, while the freshmen have seamlessly filled the gaps. The individuals in this cohesive group continue to challenge one another, allowing for an expanded bench as more players see time on the field.

“We had 21 guys contribute up at Middlebury and continue to use our depth as a serious advantage over our competitors,” said Wheeler.
It would be impossible to talk about rookie contributions without highlighting Purdy. He has been consistently stellar in goal, with seven of the team’s eight shutouts. He has an incredible 0.40 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage, both of which lead the NESCAC.
The team has almost a week off before its next challenge. On Saturday, the men will travel to Amherst for a contest against their Little Three rival. This game against the Lord Jeffs holds greater importance for the veterans.

“They ended our season last year in the first round of the NESCAC tournament, so we owe them,” said tri-captain Jory Kahan ’10. “Amherst is always one of the best teams [we] play. It’s always a physical battle so we need to be prepared for that.”

A win over Amherst would split the Little Three title between Wesleyan and Williams. Game time is set for 2:30.