The volleyball team fell to Coast Guard 3-1 on Wednesday in New London, its fifth straight loss at the Academy. The team now stands at 6-13 on the season, with wins in six of its last nine matches.

Wesleyan took the opening set 25-23, but it was all Coast Guard after that. The Bears took the second 25-20 and held on for a 25-23 triumph in the third frame for a 2-1 lead. Wesleyan had a chance to tie the match, holding a 24-20 lead late in the fourth set, but a 6-0 Coast Guard run gave the hosts the 3-1 victory.

The Cardinals had a solid performance as the net, piling up 20 blocks in the contest. Laura Volgenau ’13 led the team with six, and Casey Reed ’12 added five. Ashley Farrow ’10 and Ellie Healy ’10 also contributed four blocks. Farrow also led the team with 13 kills, while Healy added 35 assists. Defensively, Ruby Hernandez ’11 led the team with 21 digs, and Alissa Santucci ’12 chipped in 13.

Wesleyan returns to NESCAC play this weekend with a three-match slate at Conn. College. The Cardinals take on Williams on Friday for the second time this season; the Ephs earned a 3-0 win over Wesleyan in last month’s M.I.T. Invitational. Wesleyan then battles Hamilton and Middlebury on Saturday.