Amherst volleyball improved to 4-1 in NESCAC play after going 2-1 over the weekend at Williams. The Lord Jeffs fell to the host Ephs 3-1 on Friday night but rebounded to defeat Hamilton 3-0 and Middlebury 3-2 on Saturday. Sophomore hitter Cristy Meier recorded a team-high 44 kills over the three matches, an average of 3.67 kills per set. Amherst improved to 11-3 with a 3-0 home win over Smith on Wednesday.

Bates senior quarterback/wide receiver Tom Beaton accumulated 144 all-purpose yards in a 15-7 loss to Tufts on Saturday. Beaton piled up a career-high 63 rushing yards on eight attempts and returned two kickoffs for 54 yards. Junior linebacker Myles Walker had a game-high 12 tackles, including three for a loss.

Bowdoin senior field hockey forward Shavonne Lord was named Co-Player of the Week after a nine-point (four goals, three assists) week. Lord tallied a goal and an assist in a 6-0 win over Husson, then recorded the game’s only score in a 1-0 win at Conn. College on Saturday. Lord, who began the week tied for the team lead in goals with six, added a pair of tallies in a 6-0 win at Wheaton Sunday. The Polar Bears improved to 7-2 overall with a 5-1 home win over Colby on Wednesday.

Colby junior women’s soccer goalkeeper Loni Pisani made 14 saves in a 3-0 loss at Middlebury on Saturday. Pisani, who made 16 saves in a 3-0 loss to Williams earlier this season, had six stops on Wednesday as Colby earned a 1-0 victory over Bowdoin for the first time in program history. The Mules had gone 0-35-3 in their first 38 games against the Polar Bears, dating back to 1979.

Conn. College opened its new 10,000-square foot fitness center on Tuesday, the first new building on campus in 14 years. The two-story, $8-million facility is expected to receive LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Certification. As part of the construction, the school’s former weight room—the Jane Murchison Hamilton ’42 Fitness-Wellness Center—was renovated to provide space for stretching and group activities.

Hamilton senior cross-country runner Peter Kosgei placed fourth overall in the Gold Race at the Paul Short Invitational, which was hosted by Lehigh on Friday. He finished two seconds behind the winner with a time of 23:42, which was 36 seconds faster than his career best, set at the 2007 NCAA regional meet. It was also the fifth-fastest time ever run on the course.

Middlebury junior women’s soccer goalkeeper Lauryn Torch recorded three shutouts for the Panthers last week, lowering her goals-against average to 0.28. Torch didn’t have much to do during 2-0 win at Skidmore (which failed to make any shots on goal) on Tuesday, but she stopped three Colby attempts on Saturday in a 3-0 victory over the Mules. Torch earned her fourth straight shutout with two saves in a 1-0 home win over Wesleyan on Sunday.

Trinity field hockey improved to 5-0 in NESCAC play with a 2-1 win at Williams on Wednesday night. Sophomore goalkeeper Gina Dinallo made 17 saves in the victory as the sixth-ranked Bantams moved to 8-0 overall. In other Trinity news, alum Sam Kennedy was promoted to Boston Red Sox Executive Vice President/Chief Operation Officer on Oct. 1.

Tufts volleyball improved to 17-1 after the Jumbos swept the Tufts Invitational over the weekend and defeated Bowdoin 3-0 on Wednesday. Senior setter Dena Feiger was named MVP of the Invitational and received NESCAC Player of the Week after averaging 10.5 assists per set, including a 52-assist performance against UMass Boston last Tuesday as the Jumbos avenged an earlier loss to the Beacons with a 3-2 home victory.

Williams men’s golf earned the right to host the spring NESCAC Championship after edging Hamilton by two strokes in the weekend’s NESCAC Championship Qualifier. The Ephs’ total of 297 on day one placed Williams six strokes behind Hamilton, but a strong performance on the tournament’s second day (298) gave the Ephs a total of 595 and the win. The Ephs will go for their seventh title on the links in the last ten years next April 24-25.