Wesleyan Station (Wes Station), the University’s mail service center, is the latest victim in the tsunami of cuts across campus caused by the shrinking endowment. Over the summer, Wes Station’s hours were shortened, the already-small staff was downsized, and the first-floor service window was required to house the ITS Central Printing services.

This year, students have an hour less to buy stamps or ship packages via Federal Express (FedEx). The service window on the first floor of the Usdan University Center is now open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m, instead of 4 p.m. The Wesleyan Student Assembly (WSA) is seeking to work with the administration to implement additional student-friendly hours.

According to Gerard Winzer, Assistant Post Office Manager at Wes Station, the change was a result of the local post office altering its pick-up time from 5 p.m. to 3 p.m. In addition, students can no longer ship packages via the United States Postal Service (USPS).

“They went crazy with their shipping fees,” Winzer said.

Winzer is one of two employees leaving Wes Station. Former Wes Station Manager Lisa Davis retired last year using the University’s early retirement program. Winzer will also be taking advantage of the program when he retires in October, leaving Wes Station with only four employees.

Wes Station now shares the first floor service window with ITS Central Printing services. Original plans were to move Wes Station into the Cardinal Technology Center—the University’s computer store—allowing ITS Printing services to take over the entire window. However, because of overcrowding in the computer store during a trial run in the summer, Wes Station was moved back to its original location.

“They tried it out over the summer, but with the volume of students, it just wasn’t feasible,” said Jennifer Platt, Printing Specialist for ITS.

Students can still pick up packages from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from the basement window in Usdan.