WSA 2010 Class Reps

Jeffrey Stein :I am running to continue the work I have done this year as a representative of the junior class. This year I served as the Vice Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee, which covers all academic issues related to the Wesleyan student body. If reelected I plan to continue my work in Academic Affairs and expand the student voice in academic decision-making on campus. I feel that the student body was not able to adequately express concerns about the increased enrollment and the effect this will have on class sizes and registration. In the current economic climate it is imperative that our voice is not lost in the clamor. Academic issues in which students have a stake, such as the FYI program, internship credit and scheduling, need to be addressed from the student perspective, and if elected, I will try to open up avenues of dialogue to make this happen.

Micah Siegel-Wallace: Many of you have met me at Helpdesk, where I work around 15 hours a week fixing computers. Many of the skills that make me good at fixing computers also apply to student government. Im dedicated, and will work after hours to fix a problem. Im friendly, patient, and approachable, (you have to be to answer some of the calls that come in). I get things done quickly and efficiently, and am able to multitask
      As for my agenda, I plan to focus on more choices of meal plans, as well as restoration of the ability of Sophomores to get all points; also I am very interested in looking at the constant problem of classes that are too difficult to get into, as well as opening up the issue of minors once more.

If elected I encourage you to contact me with your complaints, the more discussion the better

Jordan Brown: Hi, my name is Jordan Brown and I’d like to represent all you incoming seniors as one of your class representatives. I’m friendly, playful, and loyal, but not a dog. Seriously though, I love our class and I flow in many circles, from the athletes to the World of Warcraft connoisseurs. I know the issues, and I know what you all want is a sweet senior year. I’ve never been on the WSA, but I feel like I could bring new ideas, ambition, and energy to the floor. Give me a chance, make me your voice. Vote Jordan Brown for senior class representative.

Jeffrey Bizinkauskas – none submitted

Gianna Palmer: After serving on the WSA for two years as a freshman and sophomore, I’d like the opportunity to return as a senior class representative. Last year I chaired the Student Budget Committee where I worked with a variety of student groups to ensure they received the funds they needed to put on shows, bring speakers to campus and plan a variety of community events. When I returned from being abroad in Paris in the fall, I remained very involved with Wesleyan culture as an Argus columnist, a Writing Workshop tutor and a participant in various dance performances on campus. From the Moulin Rouge to WesBurlesque I’ve had some great experiences this year and I’d like to put my enthusiasm for life at Wes to good use by rejoining the WSA as a rep for the class of 2010.

Senior Class President

Maya Barros Odim: ‘I have come to believe over and over again that what is most important to me me must be spoken, made verbal and shared even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood. -Audre Lorde

To better understand our spaces we have to acknowledge the voices and the whats they are communicating, while allowing them to self-define and change. To me, the position of Senior Class President means supporting the ‘spoken, verbal and shared‘ voices of the senior class, while supporting the creation of spaces where we can share in each other. It is as important to me to take part in conversations that reach across campus to staff, students and faculty as it is create spaces where we play instruments, dance, speak through theater, share meals and much more.’

Senior Class Vice President

Pedro Ventura: We’re a class unlike any other. It’s rare to find such a blend of characters moving as one. I, Pedro Ventura, would be honored to serve you in your final year here at Wesleyan. Over the past three years, I have been able to take advatange of a number of different resources that have helped me develop leadership skills that I plan to use next year to better serve you. Also, I like to have fun and want all of you to have fun with me. So vote for me to make next year popping.

David A. Layne: I, like many of you, never thought senior year would come so quickly. Freshman orientation, FYI courses and sketchy residence-hall romances seem like yesterday. However, the time has come for greater things: senior theses, interviews, and graduate school applications. This realization seems scary, but with me as your V.P. I can guarantee that there is still fun to be had! Senior year is critical for more than just looking ahead to the “real world”. This is our last chance to solidify the bonds that we have formed over the years and to form new bonds with the brilliant and engaging members of our class! I have acquired much knowledge in the field of “Senior Class Fun Management” through my work as a cocktail and event intern with the current seniors and I know that with your help, we can ensure that our class enjoys one last year of fun, excitement and intrigue before taxes, mortgages, and careers ultimately consume us!

Senior Class Secretary

Nora Gilbert: A wise woman once said, “I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don’t have maps and, our education like such as, South Africa and, the Iraq, everywhere such as, and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa and the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will build up our future, for our children.” As your senior class secretary, I hope to be as articulate as this and more: I type 400 words per minute, I am organized and hard working, and I take ridiculous notes. I want to make our senior cocktails amazing and find a commencement speaker who will rival Obama. Vote for me!

Senior Class Treasurer

Jared A. Blake: What’s up people? I’m running for senior class treasurer because I think I’m perfect for the job. As you may or may not know, I am an Aquarius, and everybody knows that Aquarii are outstanding with numbers and senior class treausuring. I manage money well and as an economics major I feel that this position is right up my alley. If I am elected as a senior class officer, I will be extremely diligent in orchestrating the most NOTORIOUS senior cocktails that Wes has ever experienced. If you know me, you know I’ve got a pretty good beat on the heat around campus, therefore I think I can help bring the class of 2010 a superbly awesomely dope senior year. Vote Jared!

2011 Class Rep Elections

David Markowitz: Please re-elect me, David Markowitz. I’ve been working for you all for the last two years, and I’d be honored to continue. I’ve gotten to know a few key people in the administration. With a little prodding, I think I can take advantage of these relationships for our benefit. I’ve been part of the teams that pushed for transportation during breaks and weekends, and dialogue with ITS. I am always open to suggestions or questions, and I make myself accessible to all.

Reelect David Markowitz!

Andrew Huynh: Dan Quayle once said, “If we don’t succeed we run the risk of failure.” See a problem with that? Yeah, so do I.

Working in the WSA Office, I also see a problem when student groups come in not knowing how to fund an event. I see a problem when people are sitting and waiting for the SBC, expecting a resounding “no”. Worst of all, I see a problem when students start wondering where all of the WSA’s effort is directed. I know how it feels: I’ve been there, too.

Student groups are the foundation of our lives here at Wesleyan and, more often than not, these very groups struggle to get the attention and help that they deserve. If elected, I pledge to tear down these barriers and increase the WSA’s transparency. You deserve the help – a vote for me is a vote for a more supportive WSA.

Sam DeFabbia-Kane: I am running for the WSA because I believe that serious change needs to come to ITS: ITS needs to be completely open and transparent about its policies and its problems. To do that, ITS needs to be able to easily field student input and to effectively notify the student body about changes and problems.
      I am the right person to make this happen. I’m an ITS student worker and I have the technical knowledge and understanding to discuss specifics and help come up with solutions. I’m a writer for Wesleying and in the past year I’ve already made inroads on some of these goals (I wrote an open letter to ITS in the fall and got questions answered about the Gmail switch before it had happened). If you’re looking for details, my positions on other issues, or have questions:
     sdefabbiakan.web.wesleyan.edu/wsa
     sdefabbiakan@wesleyan.edu

Micah Feiring: “Fire Safety, open the door!” I instantly woke up. “Hold on, I am naked!” I shouted back. I knew I had roughly 45 seconds to relieve myself of around $1500 of violations. I ripped the bag off the smoke detector ($500), tore down my Beatles tapestry ($100) and used it to cover the fireworks ($500). The door began to open—I lunged for the candles on my desk. The point of this story is that, clothed or not, I can think fast in tricky situations and get things done.

This year I reduced fire safety fines, helped appeal SJB sanctions, worked to promote safe underage drinking, and created a simple party registration system.

Next year I will create a free late-night student café, reduce Wesleyan’s environmental footprint, organize an EMS service, and advocate for lower fines and an on-campus bar.

I will break through the bureaucracy and I will get shit done. Vote MICAH FEIRING for the real deal!

609-577-6717
     mfeiring@wes

Khan Kikkawa: Hi, my name is Khan Kikkawa. The reason why I want to become a class rep for the class of 2011 is simply because I want to have our class’ voice be heard to a greater extent in the WSA so that our next two years at Wesleyan will better provide us with our ideal college experience. As a student rep, I hope to bridge the gap between the WSA and our class students, acting as a mediator though which our issues can be heard. I don’t want the WSA to remain a separate entity from our class, merely because I believe the WSA exists to serve us students. I want to be your voice in the WSA. Please e-mail me with your grips and worries so that I can convey them to the WSA and please vote for me. Your voice will be heard.  HYPERLINK “mailto:kkikkawa@wesleyan.edu” kkikkawa@wesleyan.edu

Max Rothstein: I would be honored if you selected me to represent our class on the WSA. In these difficult economic times, it is especially important to embrace social activities and socialism. In that light, I promise that if elected I will work diligently with the WSA representatives and SBC committee to make sure you each get the most out of your student activities fee. I have a lot of experience planning events and served as the Director of Students for Barack Obama in Connecticut. As a Freshmen I planned the Obama rally with Kal Penn. As a Sophomore I helped organize the Brother Ali show at Beckham hall. If you select me as your representative I will continue to work to plan concerts and parties. Because really, I think we all deserve a student government which works to make Wesleyan more fun.

David Thompson: My aim in running for the Wesleyan Student Assembly is to be an advocate for bringing Wesleyan’s policies into an increasingly world/human-life conscious realm. From a macro perspective, this means fighting for a radically changed endowment, to the extent that the WSA can affect it. Investments in firms that perpetuate the cycle of war and environmental destruction are unacceptable. Also, we should actively seek out socially responsible companies in which to invest more aggressively. On a micro level, the WSA should financially support student organizations doing their part to make Wesleyan’s campus a more sustainable ecosystem. The Dining Committee’s creative efforts to make our food comsumption less destructive should be supported by similar efforts by the WSA’s other committees. I’d also like to work with/on the nascent Concert Committee to support Wes’s already vibrant music scene.

2012 Class Reps

Ben Firke: I am running because students need a voice. The economy is making the Administration consider even more budget cuts. Wesleyan students need a representative who can say NO:

NO to cutting financial aid—in any way. As representative, it will be my top priority to use everything I’ve got to keep Wesleyan need-blind and full-pay.

NO to continuing unsustainable consumption practices that waste resources and, most importantly, your money.

NO to cutting faculty salaries and jobs and hurting your education.

NO to cutting student services.

This year, I’ve taken initiative to meet with Pres. Roth’s right hand man Charles Salas to propose a summer program, amended the WSA bylaws to create an Officer of Sustainability, and made the WSA more transparent by creating a blog for the WSA to announce its policies. I hope to continue my work on the WSA next year. Ben Firke: No bullshit, just results.

Meherazade Sumariwalla: Hey Class of 2012,

It’s been an honor and a pleasure serving as your freshman rep, and now I ask for your support once again in my bid for re-election to the WSA, so that I can continue the work that I’ve started.

This year I have been an active member of the WSA, and some of the areas I have impacted are:

1) General Assembly – It’s my job to take attendance and minutes at every WSA meeting so Assembly can function smoothly and efficiently, with maximal transparency.

2) WSA-ITS advisory committee – I serve as a voice for change and student opinion, and this year we’ve made great strides with GoogleApps.

3) Student-WSA relations – when we’re discussing a controversial issue/resolution, I’ve let you know so that you can have your voice heard.

You want experience, someone who is ready to stand up for you, and someone who cares –

VOTE MEHERAZADE!

Joshua Levine: Hey Wes,
If elected as a class representative, I will prioritize the quality and diversity of student life, university-wide environmental integrity, the establishment and maintenance of coalitions throughout and beyond campus, transparency, and accountability.

I am open-minded, always looking to learn something new, and will make sure that any decisions that I make be better informed by the student body. As a class rep, I would provide a disciplined, friendly, tolerant, and practical voice in the WSA.

I would truly appreciate your support, and if we’ve never met before, I hope that we do sometime soon.

Kurt Lyn: Why should you vote for me? The better question is why wouldn’t you vote for me. The fact of the matter is that I am a fresh face in the WSA political game. I haven’t been marred by the lackluster performance this organization has shown me this year. I know that with a little muscle I can energize the student assembly and this school in general. Around Wesleyan, there is a lot of talk about action and getting things done. I, on the other hand, don’t waste time with words. I’m a more action-oriented person. With that said, I’ll keep this short. Vote for me, and it’ll be NONSTOP ACTION.
     -KURT OUT

Nathaniel Leich: Nat Leich here and I’ve got two things to say.

One: Government’s about the people. I’m running to have your voice heard. Already I’ve been asking the student body about what they want to see changed:

“I think Pi Café should stay open later.”
      -Katherine Wolf ‘12

“Transportation definitely needs improvement”
      -Katherine Mullins ‘12

“I wish more girls would hook up with me.”
      -Max Nussenbaum ‘12

You elect me, I’m on it.

Two: Government’s about the leader. So I have plans. Big plans.

As I see it, we need to

a) increase transparency in the SJB.

b) improve transportation. Shuttles, busses, bikes, I’m on it.

c) strengthen our music scene. I founded music house last year, so I know the importance of a thriving music scene at Wesleyan.

So vote for me, Nat Leich. YEAH!

Adam Ilowite: My name is Adam Ilowite and I have been on the WSA for a full year now. Throughout this year, I have worked hard on the Student Affairs Committee to bring students the ability to have a process advisor for SJB cases, better fire safety procedures, and keeping alcohol and other drug policies student-friendly. Keep me on the WSA to continue working on similar projects to keep Wesleyan as student-friendly as it is. Thank you.

Genevieve Hutchings:    

I served on the Finance and Facilities Committee, and the sub-committees of Dining and Usdan Advisory.

I contributed suggestions and proposed changes regarding dining and student policies.      I presented information on third-party networking during group meetings with President Roth and other senior administrators.

I am truly grateful for my time so far on WSA and I hope that you choose to re-elect Genevieve Hutchings when you get to the ballot.

Adam Fishman: I’ve been waiting for you Wesleyan, we meet again at last. When you first elected me, I was but the learner, now I am the master (of student advocacy, of course). Star Wars reference aside, Ill take this statement a bit more seriously than the first one. This past year on the WSA has given me a wealth of knowledge pertaining to our university and what governs it. I would like to continue my service by sitting as your sophomore class representative. This year, I presented ideas that would allow us to maintain need-blind financial aid for waitlisted students, ensured funding for Identity months, acted as a liaison between the freshman class/student body and the Student Budget Committee by helping students with funding requests, and have brought up every issue mentioned to me by you, my peers. Most recently, the issue was the need to reform our policy on transporting students to the hospital. It’s been a great year, and I would be honored to serve again as your representative to the Wesleyan Student Assembly.

David Sedgwick: Dear Class of 2012

I am excited! I am really really excited! I am ready to dive in and make a difference! To swim the metaphorical river of the WSA. Jump around! Get wet!