On February 20, Andrew Dermont submitted a Blargus opinion piece entitled “An Open Letter to Wesleyan Students.” Dermont responds to the question of whether Wesleyan has become “mainstream.” However, the examples cited by Dermont exhibit how he is very much a part of the “changes” at Wesleyan.

Dermont cites several examples of how Wesleyan used to be “so special” and claims that it is the freshman and sophomores who are destroying that image. He claims that students in the classes of 2012 and 2011 “are too busy buying their next pair of Ugg boots on their Blackberrys.” It seems fairly unlikely that sophomores and freshman are significantly more likely to purchase these items. Many juniors and seniors also have Ugg boots and Blackberrys. The point is not who has Uggs and Blackberrys, but who is part of a consumerist culture.

As students at Wesleyan, we are all a part of that culture, paying over $50,000 a year (unless you’re on financial aid, which a decreasing number of students receive every year). We have the privilege of attending this school and we must use the knowledge to better society.

Dermont’s great concern is “[w]here is the sweet old black woman who used to swipe cards?” Dermont, who spent his first two years at Mocon, did not bother to learn this woman’s name, although he does know the names of the other two workers he mentions. Instead, he uses stereotypical language to portray an “Aunt Jemima” type figure that stems back from slavery. He describes a passive, smiling, helpful, elderly black woman who is purely self-sacrificing.

Dermont continues by targeting WesWings choice to change the “oriental chicken sandwich” to “honey ginger chicken sandwich.” The term “oriental” (which, Dermont will be happy to know, I still see describing plenty of food items on campus) derives from an exotified, racist conception of Asian peoples. The change made by WesWings reflects one of the few positive changes in recent years.

What Dermont fails to cite is how Wesleyan students are gradually participating and caring about activism on campus and in the greater society less every year. This has little to do with buying Uggs and everything to do with why people are at Wesleyan and what they seek to gain from this “education.” If students view Wesleyan as a path to “success” (which it certainly is from a capitalist standpoint), then this school will continue to slip into becoming “The Independent Ivy” the administration has always wanted it to be.

Instead, students should be concerned with the school’s cuts in financial aid spending, attempts to close the University Organizing Center, Bon Appétit’s lack of respect for their workers, and significant drops in the number of students participating in activism on campus. We do not need students urinating in the dining halls (which for some reason Dermont misses), we do need students who are passionate about anti-racism, queer issues, universal healthcare, anti-classism, anti-ableism, anti-elitism, homelessness, genocide, and all other forms of oppression rampant in our society and on our campus.

• fail

way to seriously miss sarcasm. everyone here at wes knows what ‘oriental’ actually signifies (or should), and i don’t think he was truly denouncing that change.

• not OP

If that was sarcasm, it wasn’t used very effectively.

• Abaye

You, Trent, are a fucking moron. End of story.

• bfirke

why can’t we just go to school to learn things?

• Abaye

To clarify, in case that was a bit obtuse. You completely miss the point, and betray your lack of ability to do anything other than attempt to further your own “hyper-sensitive” agenda when you bring race and gender issues into a harmless piece expressing nostalgia for the past. It’s a shame that someone can’t refer to a person as a “sweet old black woman” without being criticized as being a proponent of slavery. This is a woman who works at a job, makes money, and presumably enjoys herself, while being respected and loved by many of the people she serves. I’m a bit confused as to where self-sacrifice enters the equation. By the end of your Wespeak, you completely undermine any legitimate point you could have made, by making it clear what you really want: more students who fit the mold of what YOU determine to be ideal: students “passionate about anti-racism, queer issues, universal healthcare, anti-classism, anti-ableism, anti-elitism, homelessness, genocide, and all other forms of oppression rampant in our society and on our campus.”

What about students passionate about music, art, science, passion, love, kindness, community service, and tolerance? What about students who don’t take every opportunity possible to tell other people how they should live their lives?
    Dermont recalls many aspects of Wesleyan that he wishes he saw more of on campus today. All you have to say is what you don’t want to see; what you’re against. The only positive change you support is changing the name of a WesWings sandwich. Instead of shitting on everything, get a life.

<>

That was really hateful and unecessary. Whether or not you agree with Trent’s politics, I believe hir underlying point is valid: Who cares what people wear on their feet? The “weirdness” that is (or was)supposedly so characteristic of Wesleyan should be manifested most in how we think and how we choose to live our lives, not in how we decorate ourselves. Pushing political boundaries is more meaningful than pushing fashion boundaries.

• anonymous

8:28 said it a lot better than I can. Abaye, I think it’s possible to make a point without name-calling – we aren’t in second grade anymore.

• Trent

Dear Abaye,

Nice to meet you. My name is Trent and accord to you I am a “fucking moron.” We have never met, I have no idea who you are, and now I don’t really want to meet you. So thanks for being so nasty!

If you think it’s about being “hyper-sensitive” I would guess you have never confronted the many ways oppression works in our society. Considering your meanness, I honestly do not feel the need to respond to any of your points, but I very much appreciated the last two comments.

Dialogue is certainly important, but nastiness and name calling is useless.

• Trent

Oops! Typo! Second line should be “according to you”

Well, Trent, me calling you a “fucking moron” may have been mean, but it was also the only opinion I could reasonably form of you after reading your ridiculous Wespeak. You expressed your opinion, I expressed mine. To be quite honest, I have no qualms publicly expressing that opinion after reading your Wespeak which expressed not only ignorance, but close-mindedness as well–and completely missed the point.
    Like you said, you have never met me, and therefore have no idea what I do and do not know about oppression. What I do know is that I find your Wespeak to be offensive and stupid. Just as you are offended that I, a perfect stranger, have dubbed you a “fucking moron”, I am offended at how quickly and self-righteously you pass judgment on others; that you so readily call others racists and bigots. You are quick to judge others for being racist; it is that same thoughtless passing of judgment that spawns racism and bigotry in the first place.
    If my comments demonstrated too much “meanness” for you to respond to them, well, that’s all good. I didn’t feel that your Wespeak was really opening doors to dialogue anyway; it was more of an extreme critique of Dermont for not being sufficiently politically correct in his piece, and that’s exactly what I’m criticizing you for. It’s just not necessary.

• Abaye

didn’t mean to post that as “anonymous”

• Jesse Overall

Agree with Abaye and, earlier, Hannah.

“If you think it’s about being “hyper-sensitive” I would guess you have never confronted the many ways oppression works in our society.”

Many of us have, and many of us reached different conclusions about it than you. Oppression sucks; no one denies that, and no one (at least at Wesleyan) is going to just accept it without a struggle. However, what you’ve described – the ‘Aunt Jemima’ thing and the “Oriental” label – simply do not strike me as instances of oppression. I’m half-Asian and spent part of my childhood in China; I was walking down the street late at night last week and some drunken teenagers in a minivan yelled “HE’S CHINESE!!!!1!1” and threw a bottle of soda at me. That right there is an example of oppression. The instances you mentioned are not.

My point is this: don’t throw words like “racism” and “oppression” around casually and constantly. Save them for when you have to fight the real battles, otherwise you’ll lose your credibility.

• Varlaster, a simple man

think you missed the point bro

you aren’t going to like the wesleyan dermont sees coming any better than he does. more privileged, more insulated, more consumerist, less involved. a weirder wesleyan is going to be a more active one; you didn’t have to frame this point as a pedantic take-down of someone on your side

• prefrosh

so i’m going to wes next year. as i intend to write for the argus, i thought i’d get on the website and check it out. much to my dismay, i stumbled across this.

abaye, you are an arrogant jerk. even if you do think you are smarter than someone, that shouldn’t entitle you to call that person a fucking moron. any decent human being knows that.

after looking further, it seems this kind of rhetoric is commonplace on this institution called “wespeak.” now i am seriously worried about coming to wesleyan this upcoming fall. i applied to wesleyan ED because i thought it was a community of open-minded and accepting individuals. after browsing the wespeaks, it appears that this is a community of arrogant cowards who treat each other like crap over the internet.

• M.

prefrosh: I sympathize.

As for being “original,” there is nothing more ironic than a person who bemoans conformist culture and then proposes the alternative, conforming to being “original.”

• Mytheos Holt

“after browsing the wespeaks, it appears that this is a community of arrogant cowards who treat each other like crap over the internet.”

Contrary to their name, the “Wespeaks” do not actually speak for Wes.

• another prefrosh

i’m with you, prefrosh #1. your post has reassured me of the awesomeness of the people i will be in school with next year though, so thank you. and know you’re not alone. you and i and the rest of 2013 will just have to make sure that wes remains/becomes the supportive, open place we expected it to be :)
    see you there!

• John Galt

Who am I?

• Ayn Rand

I’ve been asking myself the same question

• anon

^ this is why i love wes

• yet another prefrosh, months later

everyone but trent in this entire thread sucks

seriously

y’all

anti-racism 101

read about it