If you are of the meat eating persuasion, you probably consider bacon to be generally delicious. Well, this recipe takes bacon above and beyond its normal deliciousness factor. I know, it’s hard to believe.

This take on bacon is perfect when you are faced with that eternal breakfast conundrum: savory or sweet? Scrambled eggs or French toast? Hash browns or pancakes? This recipe lets you get your sweet in with your meat before noon in one simple dish.

Though I’ve named this dish “Morning-After Bacon,” it really is good before, after, during, or anytime in between. The beauty of this dish (besides involving bacon) is that you almost don’t need a recipe for it. This is useful for those times when you happen to wake up somewhere unfamiliar without your trusty recipe box and shelf full of cookbooks. The gist of the instructions are: coat bacon in sugar, bake, and eat. It’s quick to whip up and impresses every time.

If you are going to splurge on bacon, get the good stuff. You really don’t need to be slurping down hormones and antibiotics with your morning Fair Trade coffee, so buy the Applegate Farms brand that Weshop carries.

This recipe can be scaled up or down depending on how many people youare feeding. It works equally well with four pieces of bacon as it does with a pound. Also, I haven’t tested it but I’m sure this recipe could be adapted to work with turkey bacon.

“Morning-After” Brown-sugared Bacon

Serves: Depends on how much you like bacon and if you are willing to share

Ingredients:
1 cup light brown sugar

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil
3. Separate strips of bacon and blot dry with a paper towel
4. Measure the sugar and spread out onto a plate or dish
5. Coat both sides of bacon in sugar, firmly pressing sugar into each strip
6. Lay bacon out on sheet pan
7. Cook bacon for about 15 minutes. During cooking time, turn over
once. Bacon is done when it is browned and has a shiny, lacquered
appearance.
8. Let cool and serve.

• Cravin’ some bac’n

Wonderful recipe–cannot wait to try it. And so refreshing to see an Argus article that is actually well written and clever!

• charlie brown

bacon and sugar, southern style! good stuff!

• Mytheos Holt

My hat is off to Ms. Eaton for this fantastic recipe. I just tried it, and will probably never be able to eat ordinary bacon again.

• Breakfast lover

Fat and sugar. You can’t really go wrong. I second Mytheos and don’t think I will ever make regular, dull bacon again.

bacon revolution!!! take to the streets. sugary bacon forever!

• Sara

Yummy! I wonder if this recipe can be modified for a microwave?