The Wesleyan chapter of Best Buddies, an international organization that brings together University students and young adults with intellectual disabilities, has been chosen as one of three Connecticut schools to host its Midnight Madness Scavenger Hunt in 2009. Sacred Heart University and the University of Hartford were also selected.

The Scavenger Hunt will last from noon until midnight. Teams of six to ten people will compete all day for prizes supplied by the Connecticut chapter of Best Buddies International. In the past, prizes have included a year’s supply of Red Bull, pizza, and iPods.

“A year’s supply of Red Bull would be phenomenal,” said Kelsey Grogan ’12.

Since the theme of this year’s scavenger hunt is Pirates, pirate themed tasks will be incorporated into the event.

“Example tasks include duck taping a team member to the wall, finding a pirate hat, and taking a picture with someone wearing a Best Buddies t-shirt,” said Nicole Lai G ’08, a leading member of Wesleyan’s Best Buddies chapter. “I’m hoping that it will be a really fun and exciting event that a lot of people will participate in. If it’s successful, I would love for it to become a regular event.”

The Wesleyan chapter of Best Buddies International plans one large group event each month for all students and their buddies. Students and their buddies often form friendships that enhance both of their lives.

“Our organization members are very excited to be participating with their intellectually disabled buddies, but the event is not limited only to Best Buddies members, and in fact aims for wide student participation,” said Best Buddies President Julie Zhao ’10 in an email. “More importantly is the hope that wide student involvement in the event will raise awareness about the Best Buddies program operating on campus. We want to make this organization more visible on campus, and Midnight Madness will go far in spreading the word.”

Throughout the day, participants will also be fundraising for Best Buddies International. Last year, ten universities collectively raised over $69,000.

“Our goal is to raise $5,000 for best buddies,” Lai said.

Students who are not involved in the organization are more than welcome to participate, as well.

“We are hoping to get sports teams, fraternity and program houses, and groups of friends to participate,” Lai said. “We’ll be recruiting teams at the end of the fall. Teams can participate in pre-events and can sign up to fundraise throughout the year.”

Since members of Best Buddies at Wesleyan are paired up with young adults from Middletown, the event aims to include Wesleyan students, members of the Middletown community, and even students from nearby schools. Many Middletown businesses will provide food and prizes for the event.

“It is the first time an event of this scale has been planned to benefit Best Buddies that is aimed at the college population,” Zhao said.