As part of a reorganization of the University’s Public Affairs Office, Vice President for Public Affairs Justin Harmon will leave the University on June 30, 2008. Harmon has worked at the University since 2000 and previously held the title of Director of University Communications.

According to a University announcement, Harmon’s achievements include strengthening the University’s outreach to news media, planning large-scale events like Commencement and the Presidential Inauguration and further developing the University’s relationships with other academic institutions.

“Justin led the redesign of the Wesleyan magazine and the website, and both were important to the University,” added President Michael Roth. “He worked closely with [Former] President [Doug] Bennet and with me on crafting Wesleyan’s communication strategy.”

After Harmon’s summertime departure, the Office of Public Affairs will report directly to the President’s Office as the University begins to reassess its communications and public affairs strategies.

“It is important to have the Office of Public Affairs report to my office during the study, and I will be getting input from various parts of the University community,” Roth said. “I would expect at the end of our review that we will organize a fully integrated network of communications staff and resources.”