At a meeting on divestment from weapons contractors, trustee Michael Klingher revealed the exact amount of money that the University has invested in weapons contractors“$1.6 million in General Dynamics and $600,000 in Raytheon. This information was previously unavailable to the campus community.

Students at the meeting were also informed that the Board of Trustees will make an official decision on divestment at their meeting in May, which will take place over senior week.

The meeting was open to all student groups, and several groups came to voice their support of the divestment proposal written by Students for Ending the War in Iraq (SEWI). Environmental Organizers Network (EON), Wesleyan Americans for an Informed Democracy and WesPeace all read statements at the meeting. Wesleyan Republicans also spoke about their position on divestment, which they are opposed to.

Additionally, the Divestment Office, which comprises two tents outside of the Investment Office on 74 Wyllys Ave., has recently opened. The idea to create a Divestment Office came about over spring break, when students participating in Our Spring Break were thinking about ways to bring the energy and enthusiasm they experienced in Washington, D.C. back to campus.