Since the advent of the cell phone era, college students everywhere just can’t seem to hang up—between classes, in classes, and at parties, students are glued to their cell phones. The launch of Apple’s iPhone on June 29, 2007 (for the pricey sum of $599) has only increased student attachment to phones.

“I frickin’ love it,” said iPhone owner Robert Alvarez ’11. “I’m addicted to it. I do everything on it. When I get lost I can get directions on it.”

Alvarez got his iPhone in late July.

“I got it because my dad didn’t like it and my [old] phone broke,” he said.

Apple reported that the millionth iPhone was sold on Sept. 10, just 74
days after it was put on the market. Some of these sales can be attributed to the price cut of $200, which occurred after about two months of sales. Many of the people who waited in line and paid the original price complained, prompting Apple CEO Steve Jobs to offer them a $100 store credit.

Patrick Sunwoo ’11 received his iPhone as a graduation present and explained that aside from functioning as a phone, the iPhone serves as an iPod, computer, camera, palm pilot and calendar, and can also be used to get stock quotes and directions.

“There’s a lot of minutiae about it that gets me,” Sunwoo said. “The MapQuest capability, that’s hot.”

Both Alvarez and Sunwoo feel more organized now that they have iPhones.

“I’m very punctual,” Alvarez said. “I have my class schedule on it.”
However, not all students are convinced. Amanda Sim ’08 is more than happy using her free phone from Sprint.

“I didn’t know they were $400 – that’s ridiculous,” Sim said.

Furthermore, Sim claimed that she would decline using an iPhone, even if it were given to her for free.

“I heard that if you use the Internet on [an iPhone], people can hack into your personal information,” she said.

Anya Olsen ’11 doesn’t see the benefits either.

“I think they’re a waste of money,” Olsen said.

However, Sunwoo disagreed.

“If someone wants to judge the iPhone and say that it’s not worth all it’s cracked up to be, they should ask someone with an iPhone to show them all the little features that aren’t shown in the commercials,” Sunwoo said.

Despite the gadget’s numerous advantages, some iPhone owners have noted that connecting to wireless access at the University is time consuming.

“It definitely sucks to have to log in every time,” Sunwoo said.