Asian:

For a good pad thai, head down to Typhoon on Main Street, just a short walk from campus. The menu includes traditional Thai cuisine, such as curries, fried rice and noodle dishes—the drunken noodles are delicious, but beware of their intensely spicy flavor. The service at Typhoon is always friendly, and if you’re lucky, there will be live music (which often clashes with the serene ambience). Parties of eight or more receive complimentary fried wonton appetizers, and weekday luncheon specials—a soup and dish combination—range from only $5 to $7. Most dinner entrees cost from $8 to $15, but a student discount reduces prices. Typhoon is B.Y.O.B.

Also on Main Street, but closer to campus, is Thai Gardens. Here you will also find typical Thai fare; the service, however, is hit or miss. Though there are no free appetizers here, students receive a Thai ice tea on the house with a Wesleyan ID.

Located between these rival Thai eateries is Forbidden City, an upscale Chinese restaurant that also boasts pan-Asian cuisine. While the atmosphere is classy—with correspondingly high prices—this exotic spin on Chinese food can be over-the-top. We hear the General Gau’s Chicken can be greasy.

For cheap, late-night delivery Chinese food, call Fortune Wok at (860) 347-0885.

Just around the corner from Destinta Theaters, Osaka, a Japanese restaurant, offers students the best sushi within walking distance of campus. Despite the lackluster décor and often crowded hibachi tables, if you’re looking for eating as entertainment, this is certainly the place to go. Dinner ranges $8 to $14, while lunch is $6 to $10.

Other Japanese restaurants are Mikado and Japanica; however, these are further from campus and better accessed by vehicle.

Though Taj of India is a quick jaunt from campus, the delicious Indian food at Haveli—10 minutes by car—is worth the extra distance. A favorite among students, the cozy interior with multiple, smaller dining rooms is always bustling on weekend nights.

Italian:

With decent entrees ranging from $14 to $19, First & Last Tavern may not offer the best bang for your buck, but it certainly compensates with a romantic atmosphere. Serving typical Italian food, First & Last is a popular spot for a night out on the (Middle)town.

A couple doors down from First & Last, is Amici, another Italian hot spot. Though the service can be slow and the wait-staff unfriendly, Amici offers a surprisingly diverse selection of pastas and pizzas. The portions are extraordinarily large, so expect leftovers that will feed you and your roommate for the next month.

Just past Amici is yet another Italian eatery: Fiore II, a more expensive, but more authentic restaurant.

If these three Italian places aren’t enough for you, try Tuscany Grill, just off Main Street. With entrees up to $25, Tuscany Grill also offers typical American fare.

American:

Neon Deli, students’ beloved sandwich shop—located on the corner of Church and Vine streets—is practically a part of the campus. Scrawled on a chalkboard above the counter are dozens of creative sandwich options, which can be purchased for take-out. Many students staff the small deli, which also sells a variety of grocery essentials.

For more traditional sandwiches, as well as a sit-down atmosphere, check out Brew Bakers on Main Street. Bagels, coffee, and breakfast sandwiches are other popular menu items.

It’s Only Natural is Middletown’s completely vegetarian restaurant. Many dishes are also vegan at this homey eatery, located on Main Street.

A short drive down Washington Street is the Athenian Diner, which offers a combination of American, Greek, and Italian food, served in typical 50s style. Prices are quite reasonable. Open 24 hrs.

Mexican:

Middletown’s two Mexican restaurants, both within walking distance of campus, offer similar fare for similar prices. Puerto Vallerte is next to Destinta Movie Theater, while La Boca is a 15-minute walk down Main Street toward the North End.

Pizza:

Middletown boasts a wealth of pizza parlors but there is no clear favorite, as standards for pizza excellence differ. A few popular options are Illiano’s and Jerry’s. Both serve New York-style, thin crust pizza, but Illiano’s does not deliver. Gianni’s and Enzo’s both deliver on campus, and are hits among students as well.