Last year, when folk musician Dar Williams ’89 visited the relatively new Green Street Arts Center (GSAC), she couldn’t believe the facility had only recently opened its doors. Beginning only its second full season as a community arts center, GSAC offers state-of-the art recording, dance and art studios, a black box theater, and computer/media labs. The diversity of classes and workshops that this wonderful space facilitates has drawn people from all around the Middletown area.

“Many people aren’t aware that last semester our enrollment increased by more than 60 percent,” said GSAC Director Janis Astor del Valle. “This fall, we are continuing to explore ways we can serve this community and are offering more chances to discover and enjoy Green Street throughout the semester.”

“I am most excited about the diversity of programs we’re offering this year,” said GSAC Teaching Artist Lex Leifheit. “We’ve got programs like African Drumming and World Jewelry; really there’s something for everyone.”

New performance opportunities this semester include Open Mic Nights and Coffee Houses on the first three Fridays of every month. These will hopefully draw Middletown and Wesleyan actors, storytellers, poets, comics, musicians, performers and active audience members.

Leifheit encourages Wesleyan students to come to the first Open Mic Oct. 6.

“It’s the perfect place to showcase a new song or spoken word,” said Leifheit. “I hear some people have already been practicing for it.”

The most recent class and workshop schedule is shaping up to be a multicultural array of art programs from literary art to dance. The varied classes are Painting with Watercolors, Cross-Cultures through Collage, Jewelry Techniques from around the World, Intermediate Tap, Belly Dancing, Salsa, and Celtic Music: Learn to Play Tin Whistle. Many of the classes are complimented by a one-day workshop.

Another new program added this year is the Sunday Salon Series during which certain Wesleyan faculty, including Kate Rushin, Bill Hurst, and J. Seeley, will be presenting and facilitating conversation on their topics of interest. Rushin’s talk, “The Long Way Home,” is Sept. 24 from 2 to 4 p.m.; Herbst’s “The Art of Astronomy” is Oct. 22 from 2 to 4 p.m.; and “Current Photographic Projects” presented by Seeley and Rudensky will take place on Nov. 19 from 2 to 4 p.m.

With the developing programs have also come opportunities for financial aid in order to make the facility accessible to a wider range of community members. Currently, there is direct financial aid for children ages seven to eighteen. Available for a short period of time is a free annual membership for anyone who registers before Sept. 10. This provides discounts at certain University events at the Center for the Arts and most GSAC events. There is also a promotion offering a 15 percent discount to anyone who signs up with a friend or family member.

“I am filled with hope and inspiration, realizing what a truly vibrant group of people is already here at Green Street,” said Astor del Valle. “It’s an incredibly cool place to be.”

“I’ve heard a lot of wonderful things about the face painting at Green Street Arts Center,” said Matt Valades ’08. “I hope to have time to volunteer there at some point.”

Originally a project of Wesleyan University, the Green Street Arts Center was founded in collaboration with the City of Middletown and the North End Action Team (NEAT) to serve as a focal point of art in the North End of Middletown. Located at 51 Green St. (just one block away from Main Street), the Center works towards uniting Wesleyan’s student body with the residents of Middletown. Therefore, the Green Street Arts community urges Wesleyan students to get involved.

Interested students can put on their dancing shoes and try a couple of Latin dance steps on Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m. during the Open House. Also on Sunday, there will be tours of the facility, and participants can have some hands-on fun with digital photography. There will be chances to register for classes and workshops. Light refreshments will be served.