A small group of students, faculty members, and community members gathered on Monday to eat lunch and discuss same-sex marriage as part of the Pizza and Policy series. This new series, sponsored by the African American Studies Department, brings together the University community to consider public policy and current events.

“I came because this is a topic that has many layers and angles and ways of looking at it,” said Ledah Wilcox ’08. “Everyone comes from a different perspective. I’m constantly redefining what I think about [same-sex marriage] and what the next steps are. Often, I have a limited and closed group of people I talk to about this topic, so it’s good to hear new ideas.”

Chair of the African American Studies Program Professor Renee Romano facilitated the session and opened with a question.

“What should a state’s policy be on same-sex marriage?” she asked. “Is marriage a worthwhile goal or is that considered assimilation? What do we think of the whole institution of marriage, and should a state be using marriage to distribute benefits?”

Participants first touched on the issue of using marriage to warrant the allocation of benefits, either at the state or federal level. It was suggested that the government awards benefits to people to shape individuals’ behavior.

“Lisa Duggen, who teaches at NYU, has written a lot about this subject, highlighting the democratization of different forms,” Romano said. “For example, two sisters could have benefits because they are closest to each other. Why should health benefits be based on marriage?”

One attendee contended that in order to achieve social stability, the government promotes marriage to create future citizens. He explained that that approach is a fallacy given the high divorce rate and instances of spousal abuse.

Another contributor described marriage as the institution of structuring human relationships. He said that instead of specifically looking at laws and benefits for same-sex couples, the question must attack bigger things like society, family, community, gender, sex, and power.

“Maybe the upsurge of protestors is the last effort to stave of major changes in society,” Romano said, adding to the contributor’s point.

One person recounted the argument that if same-sex marriages are allowed, people will ask for plural or group marriages next. This speaker didn’t at all agree with this perspective, but merely wanted to express his thoughts that individuals should be permitted to have same-sex marriages or plural marriages, if they so choose to.

Other topics that were touched on included the split in point of view between generations, the inclusion of religion in defining marriage, and the difference between fighting for civil unions versus marriage. On Oct. 1 Connecticut became the first state to legalize the recognition of same-sex couples with the implementation of civil union status. The law imparts the same benefits as heterosexual partnerships receive, but still recognizes marriage as being between a man and a woman.

Pizza and Policy was created by Romano after CAAS Distinguished Lecturer Bob Moses led a moderated discussion last month.

“At dinner that night, [Moses] asked what . . . Wesleyan [has] done to prepare students to be citizens,” Romano said. “We thought about what skills students need to become actors in the world and at the end of the evening we decided we need to have more discussions of public policy issues,”

Students seemed to agree with this sentiment.

“The goal of equipping people by taking part in these types of conversations is important,” said Zach Strassburger ’06.

Pizza and Policy will be held on a monthly basis. The next session entitled “The ‘Indian Problem’ in Connecticut” will be Nov. 21 at noon in the CAAS. Romano said that she is open to receiving any ideas for discussion topics that people would like to see pursued in future sessions.