University of Pennsylvania President Dr. Amy Gutmann will be the principal speaker at this year’s commencement on May 22.

“I am honored and excited to deliver the commencement address at Wesleyan,” Gutmann said. “In my remarks, I hope to make a convincing case that this class and this generation will rise to the challenges of creating a diverse democracy that promotes life, liberty, equality of opportunity, and mutual respect. I want these men and women to see themselves as I see them—as our best hope to seize the mantle of ‘the greatest generation.’”

She will also be receiving an honorary doctorate of letters at the event.

Gutmann is a professor of politics at the University Center for Human Values at UPenn. She is also President of the American Society of Political and Legal Philosophy, a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the W. E. B. Du Bois Fellow of the American Academy of Political and Social Science and a Fellow of the National Academy of Education.

According to the UPenn website, she has published more than 100 works on political philosophy, practical ethics and education. Her most recent books are “Why Deliberative Democracy?” and “Identity in Democracy.” Before coming to UPenn, Gutmann worked at Princeton University as the Academic Advisor to the President, provost and the Dean of the Faculty.

“We knew Amy Gutmann to be a highly regarded scholar and a well-known speaker,” said Director of Communications Justin Harmon. “She is interested in how human values are discussed across institutions of the academy and has an ongoing interest in discussion of ethics. She is a dedicated teacher and scholar, someone who has spoken and written a lot on the duality of the role the faculty plays. She has studied teaching and scholarship and the ways they compliment each other.”

Some seniors have expressed frustration at the Administration’s choice of a speaker.

“It seems kind of self-deprecating of Wesleyan to get the president of another university,” said Alex Moore ’05. “Is their president really that much more interesting than ours?”

Some were jealous of UPenn’s selection of Kofi Annan as 2005 speaker.

“I think we should trade,” said Alden Blair ’05.

Harmon said that he sees no problem with the fact that Gutmann is a university president.

“She understands the mission of Wesleyan in a profound way, and she is a remarkably accomplished person,” Harmon said. “Obviously, individuals across the campus will have different views on what constitutes someone who receives an honorary degree,” Harmon said.

“She might be interesting, but I think I’m probably going to be pretty bored at graduation,” Moore said.

Also receiving an honorary doctorate of letters is Wesleyan Professor William J. Barber. Barber, formerly the Andrews Professor of Economics and a former acting president of Wesleyan, is currently a tutor in the College of Social Studies. He has been part of the University’s faculty since 1957. He has done extensive work on the history of economic thought and on developing economies.

Receiving honorary doctorate of humane letters will be Bill Belichick ’75, and Edward P. Jones. Belichick earned a bachelors degree in economics and has led the New England Patriots to win three championships. Jones is the Pulitzer Prize-winning writer of “The Known World” and a National Book Award recipient for his short story collection “Lost in the City.”

“All of these are individuals who have accomplished something truly remarkable in their professional lives, and very often either with an academic sphere or in the sphere of public service,” Harmon said. “The idea is that these are individuals who have contributed to society in some way and who have remarkable personal and professional lives.”

According to Harmon, the panel of honorary degree recipients is generated by community discussions with students, faculty and staff. The Board of Trustees approves these degrees, as they would any other degree given out at commencement.

The Baldwin Medal, which is the highest alumni honor Wesleyan bestows, will be awarded to John F. Woodhouse ’53. He is the former president and CEO of Sysco Corporation, a trustee emeritus, and chairman of the Wesleyan Campaign.